Disability has not stopped Prince from taking up social causes
October 3, 2018
Prince Durairaj from Coimbatore is a man on a mission. He wants to spread awareness on road safety to people across the globe.
Being disabled person has not discouraged him from taking up a 3,000-km trip across South India in his specially designed car. His initiative is called Abled Wheels and Prince started his mission on 24 September.
His main sponsors are the Rotary Club of East (Coimbatore) and a few other kind-hearted souls.
If a disabled person can cover 3,000 kms without having with any casualties, then people without disabilities must easily be able to do so. I want everyone to understand the importance of road safety and rules. In Tamil Nadu, many accidents happen every day. Most of the times, it is due to negligence of the driver. So many lives are lost!- Prince Durairaj.
Apart from spreading awareness on road safety, Prince also wants to stress on the relevance of the Swacch Bharat campaign. He feels that every person who lives in India has a responsibility of following it. After all, cleanliness begins in one's own home. We all have to be torchbearers for a clean and healthy India.
Prince is a very busy man. When he is not doing social work, his hands are full. He works in the Tamil Nadu government sector and is also an active member of the Para Vollyeball Association in Coimbatore. His wife and two children are his biggest supporters. They encourage him to explore new things and never let him feel that disability should stop him.
"When I visit places as part of my drive, I distribute pamphlets and brochures to locals on awareness of road safety. Many people are impressed. I hope to take my awareness drive to an international platform. Next on my list is to promote greenery. We are losing out on so many trees and plants. It is high-time we stop destroying them. I want to do a drive for this cause from Coimbatore to London. I am already in talks with a few sponsors. Hope it will become a reality soon", says Prince.
For now, 'Abled Wheels' has already covered 2,000 kms. Prince is currently takinga break at Thirunelveli before he drived back to his hometown.
Watch in Sign Language
- Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
June 16, 2019
- Understanding Fibromyalgia
June 16, 2019
- Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Church in Ireland cancels invite to priest for comparing kids with autism to animals
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Accept, Respect, Empower each other - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Rich tributes paid to veteran actor Girish Karnad
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan out of World Cup due to injury
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
- Parasports June 9, 2019 Thane witnesses first ever wheelchair race today
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News