21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Specific Learning Disabilities
As part of series on the 21 disabilities included under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPWD) Act, 2016 , today we talk about Specific Learning Disabilities. Learning difficulties are related to ability of person to learn, write and study. These are not intellectual impairments. Specific Learning Disabilities refer to difficulty in one academic area while the person does well in other areas of academic, sporting or artistic achievement. A person who is not able to write, may still be good at reading and calculations and other academic skills. Specific Learning Disabilities are also called Learning Disorders, Learning Disabilities or Academic Skill Disorders. Some of the Learning disabilities are
- Auditory Processing Disorder- Not being able to recognize differences between sounds in speech.
- Dyslexia -The most common specific learning disability that causes difficulty in the area of reading and spelling.
- Dyscalculia- Causes difficulties in the understanding of numbers and learn math concepts.
- Dysgraphia- Affects the ability to write and fine motor skills.
- Language Processing Disorder- Not being able to understand language and meaning of words in a speech.
- Non-Verbal Learning Disabilities- Not being able to interpret facial expressions or body language and may have poor coordination.
What are the causes
Despite years of study and research, there is still a lack of exact information about the reason for Learning Disabilities. However, in some cases, the LD can occur due to the following.
- Heredity and genes can cause learning disabilities if the parents or other relatives have similar difficulties.
- Problems during pregnancy and birth can cause the learning disabilities if the brain development is affected while the baby is in the womb.
- Accidents after birth such as head injuries, malnutrition, or by toxic exposure to heavy metals or pesticides can also have an impact.
Psychiatrists, school and clinical psychologists, educators can help in detecting and identifying the LD. The classroom performance, social interaction and aptitude and behavior of a student can also be observed for information.
The signs of LD can appear at an early age such as preprimary or primary levels. The child may have difficulty learning the alphabet, problems with following directions, writing issues or misreading math problems. These can be some possible indicators of a specific learning disability.
Each child can learn. Some just need to be taught a little differently.- Radha Tandon, Director PRAANGAN Centre for children with special educational needs.
Challenges and Early Intervention
For children it can become very stressful if they are not able to perform at the same level as their friends. If the issue is not identified the child fails to get timely help and guidance and can lose precious time.
In many cases children with LD are labelled as lazy and careless, causing further damage to their morale and self-esteem. It is vital that teachers observe and identify the problems that a student may face repeatedly in class. Parents should also be aware about the child’s performance at different aspects of academic life.
People and children with LDs can be taught strategies to cope or deal with their specific disabilities. Therapy and special education programs can help the child learn and master the LDs.
This can be done by identifying the child's strengths and developing ways to use them in the best way to enhance learning. Technology, guidance, special tools and learning methods have proven to be effective in meeting the challenges posed by LD.
A buddy system can also help the kids learn and interact with other students. Getting help from peers can go a long way in motivation and development of the children. -Sneha Kuryan Reddy, Parent
Watch in Sign Language
- This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
December 10, 2018
- Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
December 10, 2018
- 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
December 10, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility December 4, 2018 Chennai's iconic Marina Beach turns accessible for two days
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Resolving 26/11 Mumbai attacks is in Pakistan's interest, says Imran Khan
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Virat gets booed by fans in Australia, 'not done' says former Aussie player
- Get-hooked December 5, 2018 Disability Heroes - Deaf political candidate Sudeep Shukla is a sign of the changing times
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Wedding preparations of Mukesh Ambani's daughter begin
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Kedarnath movie banned in 7 Uttarakhand districts
- Get-hooked December 4, 2018 Smileys India bats for inclusion through art
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News