This Facebook group reaches out to wheelchair users across Kerala
The All Kerala Wheelchair Rights Federation (AKWRF) was a small Facebook group when it started off a couple of years back. Today, it has over 1,000 members from different parts of Kerala. A group consisting only of wheelchair users, AKWRF aims to do their bit for empowering wheelchair users.
Lately, the team has been busy helping out flood victims of Kerala. A few weeks back, they conducted a musical show at Malappuram. The money raised from this show was donated towards the Kerala Chief Minister’s flood relief fund! The event that was held at Kottakunnu in Malappuram was a huge success.
Kottakunnu is a popular tourist destination. For the first time, authorities let a group to hold a musical show there. We are glad that we could join hands with Kerala government and do our bit for the rehabilitation of our state- Jomy John Joseph, Co-founder, AKWRF.
The group has raised over a lakh for flood relief victims. They joined hands with NGO Goonj to give away relief materials during the floods, mainly for wheelchair users and their families.
The founders say AKWRF was started in order to bring wheelchair users to mainstream. Since most of them were stuck inside the four walls of their homes, they hardly knew what was happening outside. But all of them were active on social media. That is how the founders could bring together wheelchair users who are now working together for empowerment of community members.
“We face our own challenges. But our group is becoming bigger and better. Each person is doing their bit for community members. We want to help more people in days to come”, adds Jomy.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 10, 2019 Arun Jaitley back in India after treatment
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Understanding Rare Diseases
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Understanding Misophonia
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News