Ummeed is dedicating October to creating awareness about mental health
Ummeed Child Development Centre was founded in the year 2001 with the aim of providing support and guidance to children with disabilities and their families.
Their primary focus has been on children with developmental disabilities. This is much needed given that India has 52 million children with such disabilities.
At Ummeed we believe in early intervention and urge parents to bring in their kids as soon as possible. We work with the child and family or caregivers on goals which will impact not only his or her development but also their functioning and participation in the family and community.- Gopika Kapoor, Senior autism therapist, Ummeed Child Development Centre
Through October Ummeed is carrying out a series of events and activities to create awareness about mental health.
The aim is to start a much needed conversation around the need for better mental health awareness in India. Talking about mental health in India is still taboo as there is a lot of stigma attached to it. This further aggravates the problem.
Ummeed is hoping to bring about a positive change so that people can express their inner thoughts and seek help without the feeling of shame or embarrassment.
There will be workshops, panel discussion and sessions for children and adults that will provide support and information about mental health and its impact on the life of people.
This is a great opportunity for people who are looking for a place to open up and converse about mental health.
You can also take part in the fun activities that are planned throughout October and make new friends. Letter writing workshop, book reading, handicrafts, performance evening and even a movie screening is on the charts in October at Ummeed.
"Workshops like these help people to open up about mental health, believes Aditi Shah, Junior Therapist, Mental Health Team,, Ummeed "These events are a great way of providing them the opportunity and space to talk about mental health and not feel judged or be treated with indifference."
For more details about the various workshops click here!
Watch in Sign Language
- Check out these fun outings for children with autism
October 21, 2018
- Indian Sign Language gets to wider audience, thanks to GiftAbled Foundation
October 21, 2018
- Inclusion should begin early to build greater understanding & awareness, say experts
October 21, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 Staying fit with a disability is easy, here are some tips
- Get-hooked October 19, 2018 Cycling for children with autism, some information
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Check out these reasons to not miss out on Dandiya this Navratri
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh will now be known as Prayagraj
- Education October 15, 2018 Relief for students with disabilities, CBSE exemptions to take effect from 2019
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 Chaarana Centre for Special Needs is a haven for disabled children in Bengaluru
- Parasports October 17, 2018 Deepak Malik's century gives India lead against Sri Lanka in Blind Cricket Twenty20 series
- Parasports October 18, 2018 India beat Sri Lanka to win T20 series
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Supreme Court raps Haryana government for denying disabled students' MBBS admission
- Headlines October 20, 2018 59 people dead as train runs them over in Amritsar
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News