Gujarat government asks migrant workers to return, promises protection against further violence
October 9, 2018
The government of Gujarat has appealed to migrant workers to come back. Thousands of migrant workers from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh left the state with their families after they were targeted by local residents. This was reported across five districts of Gujarat.
Most of the incidents were reported from Mehsana and Sabarkantha. This was after a 14-month-old girl was raped, allegedly by a migrant labourer.
Speaking to the media, Gujarat's Home Minister Pradeepsinh Jadeja said,
It is our responsibility to provide security to those who come to Gujarat for employment from other states. We are very serious about resuming the law and order in the state. We have filed 35 FIRs in this case. - Pradeepsinh Jadeja, Home Minister, Gujarat
Jadeja also claimed that over 450 people have been arrested for the attacks on the migrants. The state police chief is reviewing the situation and a report has been submitted to the Central government.
The child was raped in Sabarkantha district on 28 September, after which the main accused was arrested. Despite this, violence broke out in six districts. These were Gandhinagar, Ahmedabad, Patan, Sabarkantha and Mehsana. Many migrant labourers were targeted. The Gujarat police have increased security in the disturbed areas.
The appeal by the Gujarat government came after Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar asked the Gujarat Chief MInister Vijay Rupani to take tough action.
He told Rupani to "punish those guilty but don't spread the hatred against others". Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath also asked people not to believe rumours.
Watch in Sign Language
- Father pleads guilty in death of adoptive disabled child
June 27, 2019
- Salman Khan accused of assault, robbery
June 27, 2019
- PM responds to Jharkhand lynching
June 27, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Jharkhand mob lynching victim dies, five arrested
- Technology June 24, 2019 New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines June 25, 2019 RBI Deputy Governor resigns
- Headlines June 22, 2019 India deploys warships in view of US-Iran conflict
- Employment June 27, 2019 Diya Innovations opens doors of opportunities for adults with disabilities
- Education June 27, 2019 #ChangeMakers - Sonia Jaitley believes in helping children with disabilities unlock their strengths
- Headlines June 27, 2019 Father pleads guilty in death of adoptive disabled child
- Employment June 20, 2019 Karnataka's popular Mitti Cafe chain, manned entirely by disabled staff, set to expand to other cities
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News