Gujarat government asks migrant workers to return, promises protection against further violence
October 9, 2018
The government of Gujarat has appealed to migrant workers to come back. Thousands of migrant workers from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh left the state with their families after they were targeted by local residents. This was reported across five districts of Gujarat.
Most of the incidents were reported from Mehsana and Sabarkantha. This was after a 14-month-old girl was raped, allegedly by a migrant labourer.
Speaking to the media, Gujarat's Home Minister Pradeepsinh Jadeja said,
It is our responsibility to provide security to those who come to Gujarat for employment from other states. We are very serious about resuming the law and order in the state. We have filed 35 FIRs in this case. - Pradeepsinh Jadeja, Home Minister, Gujarat
Jadeja also claimed that over 450 people have been arrested for the attacks on the migrants. The state police chief is reviewing the situation and a report has been submitted to the Central government.
The child was raped in Sabarkantha district on 28 September, after which the main accused was arrested. Despite this, violence broke out in six districts. These were Gandhinagar, Ahmedabad, Patan, Sabarkantha and Mehsana. Many migrant labourers were targeted. The Gujarat police have increased security in the disturbed areas.
The appeal by the Gujarat government came after Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar asked the Gujarat Chief MInister Vijay Rupani to take tough action.
He told Rupani to "punish those guilty but don't spread the hatred against others". Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath also asked people not to believe rumours.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News