Some ways to celebrate an inclusive dandiya festival
October 12, 2018
The festival of Navratri starts today and brings with it the joy of prayers, colors, music and dance. Navratri is celebrated across the country in various forms.
Dandiya Dance & Garba Dance are traditional dances and are performed during the nine days of Navratri celebrations.
This year we can make the festivities open for all by making the Garba venues accessible for people with disabilities. Some basic considerations can be used to make the festivities inclusive.
Here are a few simple ideas that can be used to have inclusive Dandiya Dance & Garba Dance.
"Happiness depends on what you give, NOT on what you get." as quoted by Mahatma Gandhi. Festivals are celebrated to share happiness and it is our moral duty to share it and bring smile to them who are special in many ways. #CelebrateFestivalWithPWDs- Avinash Dugar, Founder/CEO/Owner at La Gravitea
The venue can be made accessible for people with disabilities with the use of ramps.
The entrance should be wide and comfortable to get in for wheelchair users.
Presence of a few volunteers at the entrance can make it easier for disabled people to reach the venue.
The music should not sound harsh and should be played at a volume that does not disturb people with sound sensitivity issues.
People can also bring earphones to block excessive noises.
The use of strobe or flashing lights can be avoided for people with epilepsy.
Sign language interpreter ate venue can guide the deaf people that want to enjoy the dance.
- Refreshments and snacks should have gluten free options for children and adults with gluten allergies.
Inclusion is important for everyone, and in every context and situation possible. And popular festivals like Navratri, Diwali, Christmas, etc. are great opportunities to foster inclusion. For us, inclusion means both getting special needs people a chance to be involved in the larger world and also getting everyone else (so called "normal" people) integrated with the special needs community. Gopinath Ramakrishnan, parent, member of SCAN
Everyone can be invited to make the celebrations open for all and even more fun. So what are you waiting for, get ready to rock the Garba and have fun!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News