Manish Narwal, Ekta Bhyan go for gold on Day 3 of Asian Para Games
October 10, 2018
India's great run at the Asian Para Games continues. Ekta Bhyan won the country it's fourth gold medal by finishing at the top of the podium in the women's club throw, while Manish Narwal won gold in the 10-metre Air Pistol event. He also set a new Games record.
Bhyan won the F32/51 event by producing her best throw of 16.02m in her fourth attempt. This class of event class features athletes with significant impairment in the hand function. Earlier this year, Bhyan had won a gold in the Indian Open Para Athletics Championship.
India also won three bronze medals thanks to Jayanti Behera, Anandan Gunasekaran and Monu Ghangas. Ghangas finished third in the men's shot put F11, which covers vision impairment. Gunasekaran won in the men's 200m T44/62/64 class, which deals with impairment in the foot, ankle or lower leg, but athletes compete without prosthesis. Behera won bronze in women's 200m T45/46/47 event which is for athletes with limb impairment.
The records being set by Indian para athletes is winning them praise across social media, from ministers as well as actors.
4th Gold for India!! 🏅 #EktaBhyan brings home gold by winning the F32/51 event. #AsianParaGames. Congratulations!! So proud of you girl! - Preity Zinta, Former actor
Sports Minister Rajyavardhan rathore also tweeted, "Swimming his way to GLORY! Suyash Jadhav made India proud by winning GOLD medal in the men's 50m butterfly S7 event at the @asianpg2018 with a timing of 0:32:71 at the #AsianParaGames".
Another fan tweeted, "Congratulations to our Odia girl, Jayanthi Behera for winning bronze medal in 200-metre race".
Words that will come as music to the wards of India's Paralympic champs.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Events June 11, 2019 From the ‘Whys’ to the ‘Hows’
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News