Manish Narwal, Ekta Bhyan go for gold on Day 3 of Asian Para Games
India's great run at the Asian Para Games continues. Ekta Bhyan won the country it's fourth gold medal by finishing at the top of the podium in the women's club throw, while Manish Narwal won gold in the 10-metre Air Pistol event. He also set a new Games record.
Bhyan won the F32/51 event by producing her best throw of 16.02m in her fourth attempt. This class of event class features athletes with significant impairment in the hand function. Earlier this year, Bhyan had won a gold in the Indian Open Para Athletics Championship.
India also won three bronze medals thanks to Jayanti Behera, Anandan Gunasekaran and Monu Ghangas. Ghangas finished third in the men's shot put F11, which covers vision impairment. Gunasekaran won in the men's 200m T44/62/64 class, which deals with impairment in the foot, ankle or lower leg, but athletes compete without prosthesis. Behera won bronze in women's 200m T45/46/47 event which is for athletes with limb impairment.
The records being set by Indian para athletes is winning them praise across social media, from ministers as well as actors.
4th Gold for India!! 🏅 #EktaBhyan brings home gold by winning the F32/51 event. #AsianParaGames. Congratulations!! So proud of you girl! - Preity Zinta, Former actor
Sports Minister Rajyavardhan rathore also tweeted, "Swimming his way to GLORY! Suyash Jadhav made India proud by winning GOLD medal in the men’s 50m butterfly S7 event at the @asianpg2018 with a timing of 0:32:71 at the #AsianParaGames".
Another fan tweeted, "Congratulations to our Odia girl, Jayanthi Behera for winning bronze medal in 200-metre race".
Words that will come as music to the wards of India's Paralympic champs.
Watch in Sign Language
- Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
February 17, 2019
- Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
February 16, 2019
- First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
February 15, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Accessibility February 11, 2019 Kerala government starts initiatives for inclusive elections
- Headlines February 10, 2019 Arun Jaitley back in India after treatment
- Employment February 10, 2019 Program by DFID-UK, SCPwD & National Star College-UK equips trainers with strategies to promote workplace inclusion
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019