Prajith Jaipal is on a mission to create an India that is accessible to all
October 11, 2018
In April this year, when Prajith Jaipal embarked on his trip across India to create awareness about the rights of disabled people, little did he know how far that trip would take him.
During that trip, Jaipal, Founder, Divyang Foundation, an organization that works to empower disabled people, also met with Prime Minister Narendra Modi. That meeting proved life-changing in many ways.
This 40-year-old wheelchair user from Kozhikode in Kerala is now on his way to San Francisco to attend an Ability Expo to connect with and learn from organizations that work in the field of accessible technologies.
Learnings that Jaipal hopes to use to a similar international-level ability expo in India in 2020.
When I met PM Modi, I expressed my interest in holding an ability expo in India and the PM suggested that I attend one such expo in San Francisco and connect with organizations and experts there that are using technology to make the lives of disabled people more comfortable. He suggested that I could invite them to India for an international ability expo in 2020. - Prajith Jaipal, Founder, Divyang Foundation
The expo in San Francisco is from 26 to 28 October and Jaipal's trip is being sponsored by the Roman Reed Foundation. Jaipal plans to connect with organizations working on a range of accessible technologies.
He will be in the United States for two months during which he plans to meet with various stakeholders,including universities.
"I have an invite from many organizations doing research into stem cells, like the Christopher Reed Foundation. I also plan to make a visit to Rutgers University," says Jaipal.
Jaipal's organization, Divyang Foundation, has received widespread appreciation for it's efforts to reach out to disabled people who were affected in the recent Kerala floods.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Budding poet Neerada uses words to shatter notions about autism
- Events June 11, 2019 25th World Cardiology Conference
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Virat apologises for booing Indian fans
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News