It's raining medals for India at the Asian Para Games - Day 4 update
What a roll India's para sportspersons are on at the Asian Para Games in Jakarta!
Archer Harvinder Singh picked up the men’s individual recurve gold. He beat China’s Zhao Lixue, 6-0, in the W2/ST category final to win the top honors. This is India's first ever gold in para archery in the Asian Para Games. India's gold tally is now seven.
The W2 category of impairment covers athletes with paraplegia, diplegia or double leg amputation below the knee, requiring wheelchair.The ST category is for archers with limited impairment and who may take aim without having to need a wheelchair.
The compliments came thick and fast.
Heartiest congratulations to archer #HarvinderSingh Dhanju on winning the 1st ever individual Gold medal in Para Asian Games. He created history in Indian Archery with his sheer grit and determination. The entire country is proud of him. - Sukhbir Singh Badal, Former Deputy Chief Minister, Punjab
Union Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore called it a "great year for Indian sports across platforms" and congratulated Harvinder for his "outstanding performance", and said "Congratulations to you 4 keeping the 🇮🇳 flying high!"
Track-and-field athletes added a silver and a bronze to India’s tally as well. Monu Ghangas claimed silver in the men’s discus throw F11 category, while Mohammed Yasser fetched a bronze in the men’s shot put F46 category.
The F11 category deals with visual impairment. The F46 category of disability covers upper limb deficiency, impaired muscle power or impaired range of movement.
Vijay Kumar won a silver in the Men's Long Jump in the T42/61/63 category while Sudhir won a bronze in the Men's Powerlifting event. (Upto 80Kg).
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 19, 2018 Cycling for children with autism, some information
- Parasports October 18, 2018 Prime Minister Modi meets India's Para Asian Games players
- Technology October 17, 2018 Regional language dyslexia screening tool, DALI, now available as an app
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Sarbojonin in name only, not in practice - Guest column by Arita Acharjee & Annesha Dasgupta
- Technology October 20, 2018 Microsoft pledge to develop EdTech for dyslexic students has great potential for India
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 ALFAA centre for people with autism has a story of remarkable spirit behind it
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Tips to handle noise sensitivity in children with autism
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News