Savlon's new Braille enabled pack gets a big thumbs up. Will other brands follow?
Leading company ITC's move to launch it's leading health and hygiene brand Savlon in Braille packaging is the talk of social media. On the occasion of World Sight Day, ITC announced that bottles of the disinfectant will now come with Braille letters to make sure that people who are blind and visually impaired are able to feel the packets and understand what is written on them.
The newly packaged bottles will soon be made available to customers across India through retail outlets.
Speaking to the media, Sameer Satpathy, Chief Executive, Personal Care Products Business, ITC Limited, called the "initiative a determined step forward to create a more equal and inclusive society by enabling access.“
The move has been warmly welcomed by NGOs and others working towards empowering the disabled community in India.
It is an incredible step forward and I would like to thank ITC Savlon for this initiative. Many of us have the gift of vision and not often do we realize the everyday struggles of the visually impaired especially when everything around is designed for people with vision. A braille pack is not only enabling but also makes it easily accessible for all. Definitely, an inclusive beginning! - Pallavi Kadam, Executive Director, National Association for the Blind (NAB)
Upasana Makati, Founder-Edtitor, White Print, India's first lifestyle magazine in Braille hopes this will set an example for other brands. She tweeted, "I think Braille packaging is extremely crucial and facilitates independence for the visually impaired community. It is very exciting to see Savlon take a step in this direction. It qualifies to be an example for brands to follow!"
Meanwhile, leading international brand Proctor & Gamble has announced an update to its labelling of shampoo bottles and conditioners to benefit people who are visually impaired. There will now be four vertical lines on the base of the Herbal Essences plastic shampoo bottles and a grid of eight circles in the same place on the hair conditioner bottles. This is the first time that the 181-year old company has gone for an inclusive design update.
A learning that will hopefully become more widespread.
Watch in Sign Language
- Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
December 10, 2018
- Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
December 9, 2018
- Bengaluru’s Namma Pride gets a thumbs up for its accessibility features
December 9, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 Stay healthy & fit in a wheelchair. Here's how
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 What makes them Disability Heroes - World Disability Day Special
- Events December 9, 2018 Mumbai Memory Cafe
- Employment December 6, 2018 Aarambh brings opportunities to disabled women, to train & to work
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
- Accessibility December 7, 2018 Disability Heroes - Prajith Jaipal is out to create a new India, accessible & barrier-free
- Get-hooked December 5, 2018 Disability Heroes - Deaf political candidate Sudeep Shukla is a sign of the changing times
- Headlines December 5, 2018 2.0 may soon become Akshay Kumar’s most successful film
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Resolving 26/11 Mumbai attacks is in Pakistan's interest, says Imran Khan
- Headlines December 6, 2018 Prime Minister Modi attends Priyanka-Nick’s reception party
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News