This disabled girl from Kerala is fighting roadblocks to get a driver’s license
27-year-old Jilumol Mariet Thomas from Kerala was born without hands and a fighting spirit. A spirit that has enabled her to chase a childhood dream of driving her own car.
Jilumol has had to knock on many doors for that as no government official is willing to sign on her application for a driver's license. Instead of encouraging her, they mocked and ridiculed her.
Jilumol refused to give up and moved a petition in the Kerala High Court that granted her permission to apply for a driver’s license. But that has not changed anything for her as government officials are unwilling to give her a chance.
Jilumol applied for a learner’s license at the Regional Transport Office (RTO) at Thodupuzha, a small town in Kerala. She knows how to drive automatic cars, but without a driver's license, she cannot take her car out on the road.
The RTO officials told me that there is no law to register a person without hands. When the honourable High Court of Kerala has granted me the permission, why would the officials deny me of my rights? I am going back to the court to point this out. Last few days have been emotionally and mentally exhausting. It is extremely disheartening to see this kind of discrimination- Jilumol Mariet Thomas.
According to the RTO officials, Jilumol is not eligible to drive a car because she does not have hands. To meet the demands of High Court, Jilumol even brought a new car and customized it according to her requirements with the help of friends and family members who pooled in funds to make her dream come true!
A graphic designer, Jilumol says she has been running around trying for the permissions.
“All the alterations in my car were made according to how the RTO officials asked me to. When I went there with my car, they said they are helpless. How much more will I have to struggle to drive my own car?”, she says.
This braveheart, however, is determined not to give up. She has taken on all the challenges head on and she is determined to win this battle too.
Watch in Sign Language
- Disability groups fume over Supreme Court order on "reasonable sight, hearing, speech faculties" for judicial officer
January 24, 2019
- Paytm modifies app to make it accessible for blind, low vision users
January 24, 2019
- From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients
January 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events January 18, 2019 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Accessibility January 18, 2019 Goa Carnival 2019 promises to be wheelchair accessible
- Events January 20, 2019 Deaf Awareness India- Guests Lecture
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Early intervention in hearing impairments matters. Here's why
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Uri: The Surgical Strike is 2019's 1st hit
- Headlines January 24, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi joins politics, gets key role
- Technology January 20, 2019 Assistive technologies help children with Down syndrome. Here's how
- Events January 20, 2019 Behavior Management Workshop
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Bhopal is hosting Deaf Festival 2019, know more
- Parasports January 17, 2019 Kerala government move to hold marathon with disabled category welcomed
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News