This disabled girl from Kerala is fighting roadblocks to get a driver’s license
October 14, 2018
27-year-old Jilumol Mariet Thomas from Kerala was born without hands and a fighting spirit. A spirit that has enabled her to chase a childhood dream of driving her own car.
Jilumol has had to knock on many doors for that as no government official is willing to sign on her application for a driver's license. Instead of encouraging her, they mocked and ridiculed her.
Jilumol refused to give up and moved a petition in the Kerala High Court that granted her permission to apply for a driver's license. But that has not changed anything for her as government officials are unwilling to give her a chance.
Jilumol applied for a learner's license at the Regional Transport Office (RTO) at Thodupuzha, a small town in Kerala. She knows how to drive automatic cars, but without a driver's license, she cannot take her car out on the road.
The RTO officials told me that there is no law to register a person without hands. When the honourable High Court of Kerala has granted me the permission, why would the officials deny me of my rights? I am going back to the court to point this out. Last few days have been emotionally and mentally exhausting. It is extremely disheartening to see this kind of discrimination- Jilumol Mariet Thomas.
According to the RTO officials, Jilumol is not eligible to drive a car because she does not have hands. To meet the demands of High Court, Jilumol even brought a new car and customized it according to her requirements with the help of friends and family members who pooled in funds to make her dream come true!
A graphic designer, Jilumol says she has been running around trying for the permissions.
"All the alterations in my car were made according to how the RTO officials asked me to. When I went there with my car, they said they are helpless. How much more will I have to struggle to drive my own car?", she says.
This braveheart, however, is determined not to give up. She has taken on all the challenges head on and she is determined to win this battle too.
Watch in Sign Language
- A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
March 21, 2019
- Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
March 20, 2019
- Global brand IKEA goes accessible, launches 3D printable furniture pieces
March 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Medical Council of India changes postgraduate admission rules only for students with locomotor disabilities
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 A unique session on STEM education for blind students
- Technology March 14, 2019 With Inali Arm, developer Prashant Gade aims to change the outlook of people with upper limb disabilities
- Accessibility March 19, 2019 Rising Star Tours & Travels is helping visually impaired people experience the magic of new places
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
- Events March 20, 2019 Run 4 Autism Marathon- More details to come
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Awareness about accessible election facilities still an issue in Arunachal Pradesh
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News