Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
The holiday month is approaching and it is good to start planning ahead. There is no better way to enjoy the holidays than to travel and thanks to the growing number of accessible holiday destinations, choices are plenty.
If you are a disabled person looking for some interesting travel destinations, we have checked out some for you.
Simon George, a wheelchair user and founder of Special Care Holidays in Kerala, organizes holiday packages exclusively for disabled people. Their last outing was a houseboat cruise at Alleppywith mobile lifts, accessible vehicles and wheelchair ramps to ensure comfort and a hassle free experience.
I feel that most tourist spots in India are partially accessible. You need to do some research before heading to a place. Some of the prominent places are the Thiruvananthapuram museum, Kovalam beach, Fort Kochi, Bengaluru, Mysuru and Ooty. You just need to plan ahead to make your vacation great. - Simon George, Founder, Special Care Holidays.
Check out these four awesome tourist destinations that are accessible:
- Alleppy- Kerala is undoubtedly God’s own country with so much of beauty. Recently, the state was struck by destructive floods that washed away a major portion of the land. But Kerala is now revamped and has opened doors for tourism. Kerala is currently working on the barrier-free tourism project that ensures that all tourism spots are disabled friendly by the end of 2018! Some of the best accessible places to visit are Alleppy, Kochi, Wayanad and Munnar to name a few. Kochi is one of the most known accessible tourist places including Fort Kochi, Cherai and Munambam beaches to name a few. There are many websites that gives you a detailed insight about the deals and places. Take a look at it today!
- Bengaluru- This garden city is the capital of Karnataka. If you are looking out for an ideal place to have some food and drinks with friends, then your search ends here at Bengaluru! Recently, Prateek Khandelwal spearheaded the #Rampmycity campaign in Bengaluru. Many popular restaurants, pubs and hotels were made accessible as part of this campaign. The best part is, all the popular parks and monuments in the city are also accessible to disabled people. This includes the majestic Tippu Sultan’s Summer Palace that must not be missed.
- New Delhi- The hustle and bustle of New Delhi can be tiring for a vacation. But if you are in the look-out for a sneak peek into Indian history, then New Delhi is the place. There are many beautiful monuments spread across the city. Planning to go for shopping? Try them out at your own risk, but stay away during peak traffic hours!
- Mumbai- Mumbai is one of the most loved cities in India. The best part is, the city has many accessible hotels and tourists spots as well. In fact, all the popular places like the gateway of India, marine drive, Haji Ali, Siddhivinayak temple and even Juhu beach are accessible for disabled people. Do not miss out shopping at Colaba causeway, Lokhandwala market and Linking road in Bandra!
Jasmina Khanna is a wheelchair user and disability rights activist. She is an ardent traveler who has visited many popular spots across India.
“Last February, I visited Agra to witness Taj Mahal. I found that the area around was quite accessible. Entry to the heritage site has wheelchair ramps. There is a wheelchair accessible washroom which they open on request”, says Jasmina.
Now that you have some great suggestions, book your tickets fast to hop in for a vacation!
Watch in Sign Language
- This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
November 13, 2018
- I want to make a mobile app accessible to visually impaired! Really? - Guest column by Shilpi Kapoor, Founder, Barrier Break
November 12, 2018
- Actual number of disabled voters in Telangana missing from list, activists ask for special campaign
November 10, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 7, 2018 Patanjali launches first clothing store
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Unni Maxx talks about his vacation at the paradise of South Africa
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Actor Akshay Kumar says he never met self-styled god man Ram Rahim
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 Some shopping tips for blind people
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Get-hooked November 9, 2018 Arunima Sinha, first female amputee to climb Mount Everest, gets honorary doctorate in the UK
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer want wedding guests to donate to charity
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Some activities for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Get-hooked November 8, 2018 Miss Deaf Asia Nishtha Dudeja credits her win to a fighting spirit, a Newz Hook exclusive
- Get-hooked November 8, 2018 Some life lessons when you raise a child with Down syndrome
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018