Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
The holiday month is approaching and it is good to start planning ahead. There is no better way to enjoy the holidays than to travel and thanks to the growing number of accessible holiday destinations, choices are plenty.
If you are a disabled person looking for some interesting travel destinations, we have checked out some for you.
Simon George, a wheelchair user and founder of Special Care Holidays in Kerala, organizes holiday packages exclusively for disabled people. Their last outing was a houseboat cruise at Alleppy with mobile lifts, accessible vehicles and wheelchair ramps to ensure comfort and a hassle free experience.
I feel that most tourist spots in India are partially accessible. You need to do some research before heading to a place. Some of the prominent places are the Thiruvananthapuram museum, Kovalam beach, Fort Kochi, Bengaluru, Mysuru and Ooty. You just need to plan ahead to make your vacation great. - Simon George, Founder, Special Care Holidays.
Check out these four awesome tourist destinations that are accessible:
- Alleppy- Kerala is undoubtedly God’s own country with so much of beauty. Recently, the state was struck by destructive floods that washed away a major portion of the land. But Kerala is now revamped and has opened doors for tourism. Kerala is currently working on the barrier-free tourism project that ensures that all tourism spots are disabled friendly by the end of 2018! Some of the best accessible places to visit are Alleppy, Kochi, Wayanad and Munnar to name a few. Kochi is one of the most known accessible tourist places including Fort Kochi, Cherai and Munambam beaches to name a few. There are many websites that gives you a detailed insight about the deals and places. Take a look at it today!
- Bengaluru- This garden city is the capital of Karnataka. If you are looking out for an ideal place to have some food and drinks with friends, then your search ends here at Bengaluru! Recently, Prateek Khandelwal spearheaded the #Rampmycity campaign in Bengaluru. Many popular restaurants, pubs and hotels were made accessible as part of this campaign. The best part is, all the popular parks and monuments in the city are also accessible to disabled people. This includes the majestic Tippu Sultan’s Summer Palace that must not be missed.
- New Delhi- The hustle and bustle of New Delhi can be tiring for a vacation. But if you are in the look-out for a sneak peek into Indian history, then New Delhi is the place. There are many beautiful monuments spread across the city. Planning to go for shopping? Try them out at your own risk, but stay away during peak traffic hours!
- Mumbai- Mumbai is one of the most loved cities in India. The best part is, the city has many accessible hotels and tourists spots as well. In fact, all the popular places like the gateway of India, marine drive, Haji Ali, Siddhivinayak temple and even Juhu beach are accessible for disabled people. Do not miss out shopping at Colaba causeway, Lokhandwala market and Linking road in Bandra!
Jasmina Khanna is a wheelchair user and disability rights activist. She is an ardent traveler who has visited many popular spots across India.
“Last February, I visited Agra to witness Taj Mahal. I found that the area around was quite accessible. Entry to the heritage site has wheelchair ramps. There is a wheelchair accessible washroom which they open on request”, says Jasmina.
Now that you have some great suggestions, book your tickets fast to hop in for a vacation!
Watch in Sign Language
- Disability groups fume over Supreme Court order on "reasonable sight, hearing, speech faculties" for judicial officer
January 24, 2019
- Paytm modifies app to make it accessible for blind, low vision users
January 24, 2019
- From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients
January 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Supreme Court allows dance bars in Maharashtra to reopen
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Benefit Cosmetics' move to feature model with Down syndrome as ambassador gets a big thumbs up
- Headlines January 23, 2019 3 top cricket awards for Virat in 2018
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Changing lives of disabled people for the better, the Swabhiman way
- Parasports January 24, 2019 Over 200 chess players sign up for annual tournament in Hyderabad
- Parasports January 22, 2019 “My blade are my wings to fly”- My Take by Sajesh Krishnan, Kerala’s first blade runner
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Find a life partner at this disability matrimonial event
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Senior BJP leader makes offensive remarks about Mayawati
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Bengaluru NGOs show a large heart with donations for disabled, homeless people
- Events January 20, 2019 Cognitive Approach to Autism Management
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News