India finish with 72 medals in Asian Para Games, record best ever performance
October 14, 2018
A proud day for India with the country recording its best-ever showing at the Asian Para Games. The games ended on Saturday with India placed ninth in the overall tally with a total of 72 podium finishes.
India finished with 15 gold, 24 silver and 33 bronze medals, while in the last Games in 2014, India won 33 medals.
The final gold medals in the kitty came from Pramod Bhagat, who won the men's singles SL3 class badminton, against Indonesia, 21-19 15-21 21-14.
Athletes in the SL3 category generally have impairment in one or both lower limbs and poor walking or running balance.
Then para shuttler Tarun, beat a player from China, 21-16 21-6 in the men's singles SL4 class to win a gold medal.
The SL4 class athletes have a lesser impairment compared to SL 3 and play full-court. Players with impairment in one or both lower limbs, unilateral polio or mild cerebral palsy fall in SL4 category.
Paralympian Amit Kumar Saroha won gold in Club Throw F 51 and set a new Asian Games record.
Saroha's achievements won him much praise on social media from fellow sportspersons.
Amit Kumar Saroha Paralympian, won Gold Medal (Club Throw F 51) in Asian Para Games with new Asian Para Games record. Congratulation and good wishes - Bajrang Punia, Wrestler, Asian Games and Commonwealth Champion
BJP MP Vijay Goel tweeted, "Congratulations to Amit Saroha for brilliant performance in Club Throw 51, personal best 30.25m & Silver at #WorldParaAthleticsChampionships".
Also a big moment for Paralympian Deepa Malilk, who won two bronze medals, for discus throw and javelin, at the Games. Wins that she dedicated to her father in an emotional tribute.
"I'm happy. It's special for me. I dedicate this to my father's memory. Both my medals are special. Proud that I won this for my nation. Thankful to Target Olympic Podium Scheme&Paralympic Committee of India."
Truly exceptional achievements given the tremendous odds these champions have grappled with.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 20, 2019 PM Modi’s biopic to release on 5 April
- Events March 20, 2019 1st ODI National Zone Cricket Championship for Deaf
- Employment March 18, 2019 Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Rewire your brain – Guest Column by Dr Elavatsala Sharma
- Headlines March 20, 2019 One CRPF jawan killed, six others injured in naxal attack
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Narendra Modi launches ‘Main Bhi Chowkidar’ campaign
- Get-hooked March 22, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Trailer of biopic PM Narendra Modi gets over one million views
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News