India finish with 72 medals in Asian Para Games, record best ever performance
October 14, 2018
A proud day for India with the country recording its best-ever showing at the Asian Para Games. The games ended on Saturday with India placed ninth in the overall tally with a total of 72 podium finishes.
India finished with 15 gold, 24 silver and 33 bronze medals, while in the last Games in 2014, India won 33 medals.
The final gold medals in the kitty came from Pramod Bhagat, who won the men's singles SL3 class badminton, against Indonesia, 21-19 15-21 21-14.
Athletes in the SL3 category generally have impairment in one or both lower limbs and poor walking or running balance.
Then para shuttler Tarun, beat a player from China, 21-16 21-6 in the men's singles SL4 class to win a gold medal.
The SL4 class athletes have a lesser impairment compared to SL 3 and play full-court. Players with impairment in one or both lower limbs, unilateral polio or mild cerebral palsy fall in SL4 category.
Paralympian Amit Kumar Saroha won gold in Club Throw F 51 and set a new Asian Games record.
Saroha's achievements won him much praise on social media from fellow sportspersons.
Amit Kumar Saroha Paralympian, won Gold Medal (Club Throw F 51) in Asian Para Games with new Asian Para Games record. Congratulation and good wishes - Bajrang Punia, Wrestler, Asian Games and Commonwealth Champion
BJP MP Vijay Goel tweeted, "Congratulations to Amit Saroha for brilliant performance in Club Throw 51, personal best 30.25m & Silver at #WorldParaAthleticsChampionships".
Also a big moment for Paralympian Deepa Malilk, who won two bronze medals, for discus throw and javelin, at the Games. Wins that she dedicated to her father in an emotional tribute.
"I'm happy. It's special for me. I dedicate this to my father's memory. Both my medals are special. Proud that I won this for my nation. Thankful to Target Olympic Podium Scheme&Paralympic Committee of India."
Truly exceptional achievements given the tremendous odds these champions have grappled with.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
August 22, 2019
- Indian para swimmers successfully swim the Catalina Channel, set Asia record
August 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 16, 2019 PM Modi's Independence Day address - Key points
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
- Technology August 20, 2019 New robots to assist sportspersons at 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
- Technology August 22, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Prashant Gade wins Universal Design Award 2019 for Inali Arm
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Chandrayaan-2 enters Moon’s orbit
- Events August 21, 2019 GO PLAY - A Parent Education Program
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats' sensory love notes ease back to school transition for children with autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News