India finish with 72 medals in Asian Para Games, record best ever performance
October 14, 2018
A proud day for India with the country recording its best-ever showing at the Asian Para Games. The games ended on Saturday with India placed ninth in the overall tally with a total of 72 podium finishes.
India finished with 15 gold, 24 silver and 33 bronze medals, while in the last Games in 2014, India won 33 medals.
The final gold medals in the kitty came from Pramod Bhagat, who won the men's singles SL3 class badminton, against Indonesia, 21-19 15-21 21-14.
Athletes in the SL3 category generally have impairment in one or both lower limbs and poor walking or running balance.
Then para shuttler Tarun, beat a player from China, 21-16 21-6 in the men's singles SL4 class to win a gold medal.
The SL4 class athletes have a lesser impairment compared to SL 3 and play full-court. Players with impairment in one or both lower limbs, unilateral polio or mild cerebral palsy fall in SL4 category.
Paralympian Amit Kumar Saroha won gold in Club Throw F 51 and set a new Asian Games record.
Saroha's achievements won him much praise on social media from fellow sportspersons.
Amit Kumar Saroha Paralympian, won Gold Medal (Club Throw F 51) in Asian Para Games with new Asian Para Games record. Congratulation and good wishes - Bajrang Punia, Wrestler, Asian Games and Commonwealth Champion
BJP MP Vijay Goel tweeted, "Congratulations to Amit Saroha for brilliant performance in Club Throw 51, personal best 30.25m & Silver at #WorldParaAthleticsChampionships".
Also a big moment for Paralympian Deepa Malilk, who won two bronze medals, for discus throw and javelin, at the Games. Wins that she dedicated to her father in an emotional tribute.
"I'm happy. It's special for me. I dedicate this to my father's memory. Both my medals are special. Proud that I won this for my nation. Thankful to Target Olympic Podium Scheme&Paralympic Committee of India."
Truly exceptional achievements given the tremendous odds these champions have grappled with.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 Music knows no boundaries so why barriers at concert venues, ask disabled music lovers
- Headlines May 24, 2019 PM Modi's victory speech - Key Highlights
- Education May 23, 2019 Hyderabad schools strictly warned not to deny admission to children with disabilities
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
- Events May 26, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe
- Headlines May 26, 2019 PM Modi biopic earns 3 crore
- Headlines May 25, 2019 Video of candidate crying over 5 votes goes viral
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Hi-tech hearing implants must be followed by rehab programmes say experts
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 The thrills & chills of being a showstopper - Guest column by Simran Chawla
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News