India finish with 72 medals in Asian Para Games, record best ever performance
A proud day for India with the country recording its best-ever showing at the Asian Para Games. The games ended on Saturday with India placed ninth in the overall tally with a total of 72 podium finishes.
India finished with 15 gold, 24 silver and 33 bronze medals, while in the last Games in 2014, India won 33 medals.
The final gold medals in the kitty came from Pramod Bhagat, who won the men’s singles SL3 class badminton, against Indonesia, 21-19 15-21 21-14.
Athletes in the SL3 category generally have impairment in one or both lower limbs and poor walking or running balance.
Then para shuttler Tarun, beat a player from China, 21-16 21-6 in the men’s singles SL4 class to win a gold medal.
The SL4 class athletes have a lesser impairment compared to SL 3 and play full-court. Players with impairment in one or both lower limbs, unilateral polio or mild cerebral palsy fall in SL4 category.
Paralympian Amit Kumar Saroha won gold in Club Throw F 51 and set a new Asian Games record.
Saroha's achievements won him much praise on social media from fellow sportspersons.
Amit Kumar Saroha Paralympian, won Gold Medal (Club Throw F 51) in Asian Para Games with new Asian Para Games record. Congratulation and good wishes - Bajrang Punia, Wrestler, Asian Games and Commonwealth Champion
BJP MP Vijay Goel tweeted, "Congratulations to Amit Saroha for brilliant performance in Club Throw 51, personal best 30.25m & Silver at #WorldParaAthleticsChampionships".
Also a big moment for Paralympian Deepa Malilk, who won two bronze medals, for discus throw and javelin, at the Games. Wins that she dedicated to her father in an emotional tribute.
"I'm happy. It's special for me. I dedicate this to my father's memory. Both my medals are special. Proud that I won this for my nation. Thankful to Target Olympic Podium Scheme&Paralympic Committee of India."
Truly exceptional achievements given the tremendous odds these champions have grappled with.
Watch in Sign Language
- Want to stay active? Check out these sports for disabled people
November 11, 2018
- First ever Blind Volley Ball Tournament to be held in Karnataka
November 9, 2018
- India's wheelchair basketball players get tips from the best in the game at Chennai camp
November 7, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education November 14, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Prime Minister Modi launches projects over ₹2,400 crore in Varanasi
- Get-hooked November 10, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Headlines November 7, 2018 Patanjali launches first clothing store
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 "It was like the whole universe came together" - My Take by Ruma Roka, founder, Noida Deaf Society
- Headlines November 7, 2018 Protests intensifies as Sabarimala opens for monthly puja
- Get-hooked November 8, 2018 Miss Deaf Asia Nishtha Dudeja credits her win to a fighting spirit, a Newz Hook exclusive
- Parasports November 7, 2018 India's wheelchair basketball players get tips from the best in the game at Chennai camp
- Parasports November 11, 2018 Want to stay active? Check out these sports for disabled people
- Headlines November 7, 2018 Congress JDS alliance wins 4 out 5 seats in Karnataka bypolls
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports November 11, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018