India finish with 72 medals in Asian Para Games, record best ever performance
A proud day for India with the country recording its best-ever showing at the Asian Para Games. The games ended on Saturday with India placed ninth in the overall tally with a total of 72 podium finishes.
India finished with 15 gold, 24 silver and 33 bronze medals, while in the last Games in 2014, India won 33 medals.
The final gold medals in the kitty came from Pramod Bhagat, who won the men’s singles SL3 class badminton, against Indonesia, 21-19 15-21 21-14.
Athletes in the SL3 category generally have impairment in one or both lower limbs and poor walking or running balance.
Then para shuttler Tarun, beat a player from China, 21-16 21-6 in the men’s singles SL4 class to win a gold medal.
The SL4 class athletes have a lesser impairment compared to SL 3 and play full-court. Players with impairment in one or both lower limbs, unilateral polio or mild cerebral palsy fall in SL4 category.
Paralympian Amit Kumar Saroha won gold in Club Throw F 51 and set a new Asian Games record.
Saroha's achievements won him much praise on social media from fellow sportspersons.
Amit Kumar Saroha Paralympian, won Gold Medal (Club Throw F 51) in Asian Para Games with new Asian Para Games record. Congratulation and good wishes - Bajrang Punia, Wrestler, Asian Games and Commonwealth Champion
BJP MP Vijay Goel tweeted, "Congratulations to Amit Saroha for brilliant performance in Club Throw 51, personal best 30.25m & Silver at #WorldParaAthleticsChampionships".
Also a big moment for Paralympian Deepa Malilk, who won two bronze medals, for discus throw and javelin, at the Games. Wins that she dedicated to her father in an emotional tribute.
"I'm happy. It's special for me. I dedicate this to my father's memory. Both my medals are special. Proud that I won this for my nation. Thankful to Target Olympic Podium Scheme&Paralympic Committee of India."
Truly exceptional achievements given the tremendous odds these champions have grappled with.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events January 22, 2019 9th Hydrabad Fide Rating Chess Tournament for Visually Challenged, 2019
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Amputee Mayur Dumasia's 5-state cycling expedition is an inspiration to all
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Senior BJP leader makes offensive remarks about Mayawati
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Teen prodigy Satvik Sharma expresses himself through incredible works of art
- Get-hooked January 24, 2019 Some common misconceptions about Braille
- Get-hooked January 20, 2019 Understanding Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Supreme Court allows dance bars in Maharashtra to reopen
- Headlines January 21, 2019 PM launches National Museum of Indian Cinema
- Headlines January 22, 2019 WhatsApp forwards now limited
- Accessibility January 22, 2019 From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News