Abhyan Centre steps in to lend a hand to disabled teenagers
October 16, 2018
As a clinical psychologist, Umakrishnan knew firsthand of the struggles faced by disabled children, especially in the turbulent teenage years. This led her to start a centre called Abhyan with the help of VV Krishnan and KR Kanakambal.
Abhyan has centres in Kerala and Bengaluru to ensure it has a wide reach. Teenagers and youth with autism, Down syndrome and other learning disabilities come here with those over 15 years of age coming in for special attention.
Teenagers and youngsters with disabilities need our help to stand on their own feet. I started in 2016 with just two students. I have done a lot of research on disabilities to reach out to more youngsters. I feel that awareness about disabilities is better in Bengaluru, while in Kerala, there is still a long way to go. The work must start from the grassroots level. - Umakrishnan, Co-founder, Abhyan.
Abhyan encourages children with disabilities to take up internships in fields that they like. This helps them learn more about the kind of opportunities that are available and makes them independent.
Going ahead, Abhyan plans to equip the Bengaluru centre with more resources. There is greater focus on research into different aspects of disabilities and catching up with trends on studies related to autism and other disabilities.
Abhyan also focuses on therapiesthat help disabled children go beyond the limitations their conditions bring.
Anubha Doshi, an art therapist, believes that such approaches are effective in helping disabled kids.
"Each child demands different therapies according to their disabilities. Therapies must be integrated in the daily curriculum. Undoubtedly, they are essential. Every special school practices therapies. That is a great way to help a disabled child," says Anubha.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Disabled people share uncomfortable encounters on social media with hash tag #AbledsAreWeird
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 A unique session on STEM education for blind students
- Headlines March 22, 2019 BJP releases first list of candidates for elections
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 My disability taught me to unlock my potential - My Take by Dhanya Ravi
- Events March 19, 2019 Annual Seminar on Inclusion & Accessibility of Deaf
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News