Abhyan Centre steps in to lend a hand to disabled teenagers
As a clinical psychologist, Umakrishnan knew firsthand of the struggles faced by disabled children, especially in the turbulent teenage years. This led her to start a centre called Abhyan with the help of VV Krishnan and KR Kanakambal.
Abhyan has centres in Kerala and Bengaluru to ensure it has a wide reach. Teenagers and youth with autism, Down syndrome and other learning disabilities come here with those over 15 years of age coming in for special attention.
Teenagers and youngsters with disabilities need our help to stand on their own feet. I started in 2016 with just two students. I have done a lot of research on disabilities to reach out to more youngsters. I feel that awareness about disabilities is better in Bengaluru, while in Kerala, there is still a long way to go. The work must start from the grassroots level. - Umakrishnan, Co-founder, Abhyan.
Abhyan encourages children with disabilities to take up internships in fields that they like. This helps them learn more about the kind of opportunities that are available and makes them independent.
Going ahead, Abhyan plans to equip the Bengaluru centre with more resources. There is greater focus on research into different aspects of disabilities and catching up with trends on studies related to autism and other disabilities.
Abhyan also focuses on therapiesthat help disabled children go beyond the limitations their conditions bring.
Anubha Doshi, an art therapist, believes that such approaches are effective in helping disabled kids.
“Each child demands different therapies according to their disabilities. Therapies must be integrated in the daily curriculum. Undoubtedly, they are essential. Every special school practices therapies. That is a great way to help a disabled child,” says Anubha.
Watch in Sign Language
- Sexual assaults on disabled women to come under focus in Delhi convention
November 16, 2018
- Some tips to make learning fun for children with autism
November 16, 2018
- Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
November 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports November 9, 2018 First ever Blind Volley Ball Tournament to be held in Karnataka
- Education November 15, 2018 Make classrooms friendly for children with ADHD
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Help your child with autism sleep better
- Headlines November 11, 2018 Facebook launches TikTok like app called 'Lasso'
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Actor Akshay Kumar says he never met self-styled god man Ram Rahim
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prayatna Counselling & Early Intervention Centre is on the journey of making a positive change
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer want wedding guests to donate to charity
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Some activities for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Headlines November 10, 2018 Vijay’s ‘Sarkar’ enters Rs 100 Crore club amidst controversies
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 9, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News