Abhyan Centre steps in to lend a hand to disabled teenagers
October 16, 2018
As a clinical psychologist, Umakrishnan knew firsthand of the struggles faced by disabled children, especially in the turbulent teenage years. This led her to start a centre called Abhyan with the help of VV Krishnan and KR Kanakambal.
Abhyan has centres in Kerala and Bengaluru to ensure it has a wide reach. Teenagers and youth with autism, Down syndrome and other learning disabilities come here with those over 15 years of age coming in for special attention.
Teenagers and youngsters with disabilities need our help to stand on their own feet. I started in 2016 with just two students. I have done a lot of research on disabilities to reach out to more youngsters. I feel that awareness about disabilities is better in Bengaluru, while in Kerala, there is still a long way to go. The work must start from the grassroots level. - Umakrishnan, Co-founder, Abhyan.
Abhyan encourages children with disabilities to take up internships in fields that they like. This helps them learn more about the kind of opportunities that are available and makes them independent.
Going ahead, Abhyan plans to equip the Bengaluru centre with more resources. There is greater focus on research into different aspects of disabilities and catching up with trends on studies related to autism and other disabilities.
Abhyan also focuses on therapiesthat help disabled children go beyond the limitations their conditions bring.
Anubha Doshi, an art therapist, believes that such approaches are effective in helping disabled kids.
"Each child demands different therapies according to their disabilities. Therapies must be integrated in the daily curriculum. Undoubtedly, they are essential. Every special school practices therapies. That is a great way to help a disabled child," says Anubha.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
August 21, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology August 22, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Prashant Gade wins Universal Design Award 2019 for Inali Arm
- Accessibility August 19, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 "Love can be limitless if people recognise, accept and celebrate a person with a difference" - Jasmina Khanna
- Events August 21, 2019 Ageing with Grace Workshop for Seniors
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Ex-minister P Chidambaram arrested
- Headlines August 17, 2019 Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Primary schools reopen in J&K
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Alleged sexual harassment of child with autism in Kerala highlights need for tougher rules
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News