Jeeja Ghosh calls court verdict a victory for people with disabilities
Jeeja Ghosh, the passenger who took SpiceJet to court for offloading her just because of her disability, has called the Supreme Court verdict a victory for everyone with disabilities.
The court ordered the airlines to pay Rs 10 lakh in damages towards Ghosh for their insensitivity and callouness in asking her to leave the plane.
The court also said that apathy towards the problems of people with disabilities has made it difficult for them to lead a full life due to discrimination in employment, access to public spaces, transportation etc.
Ghosh was on her way to Goa from Kolkata in 2012 for an international conference when she was offloaded by SpiceJet because the captain felt uncomfortable with her condition. She had been invited to the conference as one of 15 international individuals to review an Indo-German project which was being showcased at the event.After being seated on the flight, Ghosh was approached by members of the flight crew who requested to see her boarding pass. They then ordered her off the plane despite her protests.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Jaish-e-Mohammed's key aide killed in Kashmir
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Events February 21, 2019 Course in Learning Disabilities from Samadhan Goyam
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News