Jeeja Ghosh calls court verdict a victory for people with disabilities
May 14, 2016
Jeeja Ghosh, the passenger who took SpiceJet to court for offloading her just because of her disability, has called the Supreme Court verdict a victory for everyone with disabilities.
The court ordered the airlines to pay Rs 10 lakh in damages towards Ghosh for their insensitivity and callouness in asking her to leave the plane.
The court also said that apathy towards the problems of people with disabilities has made it difficult for them to lead a full life due to discrimination in employment, access to public spaces, transportation etc.
Ghosh was on her way to Goa from Kolkata in 2012 for an international conference when she was offloaded by SpiceJet because the captain felt uncomfortable with her condition. She had been invited to the conference as one of 15 international individuals to review an Indo-German project which was being showcased at the event.After being seated on the flight, Ghosh was approached by members of the flight crew who requested to see her boarding pass. They then ordered her off the plane despite her protests.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 13, 2019 SC to hear Modi biopic case on 15 April
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Don't play too safe with your money, look at ways to invest smartly
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News