Jeeja Ghosh calls court verdict a victory for people with disabilities
Jeeja Ghosh, the passenger who took SpiceJet to court for offloading her just because of her disability, has called the Supreme Court verdict a victory for everyone with disabilities.
The court ordered the airlines to pay Rs 10 lakh in damages towards Ghosh for their insensitivity and callouness in asking her to leave the plane.
The court also said that apathy towards the problems of people with disabilities has made it difficult for them to lead a full life due to discrimination in employment, access to public spaces, transportation etc.
Ghosh was on her way to Goa from Kolkata in 2012 for an international conference when she was offloaded by SpiceJet because the captain felt uncomfortable with her condition. She had been invited to the conference as one of 15 international individuals to review an Indo-German project which was being showcased at the event.After being seated on the flight, Ghosh was approached by members of the flight crew who requested to see her boarding pass. They then ordered her off the plane despite her protests.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Accessibility December 4, 2018 Big Bazaar leads the way with a Quiet Hour for shoppers on the autism spectrum, a World Disability Day special
- Get-hooked December 6, 2018 Disability Heroes - Neha Agarwal is opening corporate India’s eyes to the AB-ility in disability
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Deaf people are gathering at Delhi's Jantar Mantar for a common cause
- Get-hooked December 4, 2018 Campaigning for accessibility from UAE to India - My Take by Shobhika Kalra, Co-founder, Wings of Angelz
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Wedding preparations of Mukesh Ambani's daughter begin
- Headlines December 6, 2018 Vijay Mallya offers to pay 100% loans back to the banks
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 7, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News