Jeeja Ghosh calls court verdict a victory for people with disabilities
May 14, 2016
Jeeja Ghosh, the passenger who took SpiceJet to court for offloading her just because of her disability, has called the Supreme Court verdict a victory for everyone with disabilities.
The court ordered the airlines to pay Rs 10 lakh in damages towards Ghosh for their insensitivity and callouness in asking her to leave the plane.
The court also said that apathy towards the problems of people with disabilities has made it difficult for them to lead a full life due to discrimination in employment, access to public spaces, transportation etc.
Ghosh was on her way to Goa from Kolkata in 2012 for an international conference when she was offloaded by SpiceJet because the captain felt uncomfortable with her condition. She had been invited to the conference as one of 15 international individuals to review an Indo-German project which was being showcased at the event.After being seated on the flight, Ghosh was approached by members of the flight crew who requested to see her boarding pass. They then ordered her off the plane despite her protests.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 20, 2019 With This Ability - Comedy and Conversation with Sweta Mantrii
- Events June 26, 2019 Music therapy for special needs children
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Parenting Corner - Parent’s role in education
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Zakker Hussain’s relentless commitment to social work is admired by many people
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News