Animal lovers protest against decision to shoot down tigress Avni
October 17, 2018
Man has invaded forest lands, destroyed greens and habitats of wild animals. As a result, those handfuls of wild animals that are left back are struggling to survive and stay away from mankind. The ideal example is tigress Avni who lives in the forests of Yavatmal in Maharashtra. According to reports, she has killed 13 people in the last two years. Their bodies were found in the thickets where she lives. Now, the government and forest officials are up in arms against Avni and want her to be shot at sight!
This has infuriated animal lovers, activists and NGO's across India. They have come together to speak up for Avni, who reportedly has a few cubs as well. The petition on online platform change.org has already received over 54,000 petitions to save Avni. Social media is flooded with the hashtag #saveavni which is going viral. The requests are addressed to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, President Ramnath Kovind and Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
According to officials, Avni is a T1 tiger. Officials have been trying to kill her for the past two years. They even hired international hunters to spot and kill her. But all their efforts to find Avni have gone down the drains.
Last week, a protest was held at Carter Road in Mumbai to save Avni. Many celebrities and activists took part in the protest. Animal lovers in Hyderabad gathered at the Dog's park at Necklace road on Sunday to show their support for Avni and her cubs. Activists are just not ready to buy the government's stand of Avni being a threat to locals!
It is easy to kill a majestic animal after humans invade their lands. Undoubtedly, human lives matter too. But the government must be more sensitive. Activists are pointing out that Avni and her cubs must be tranquilised and moved to a safer place instead of killing these animals that are already in the verge of extinction.
Watch in Sign Language
- BJP releases first list of candidates for elections
March 22, 2019
- Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
March 22, 2019
- Trailer of biopic PM Narendra Modi gets over one million views
March 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Karnataka govt introduces accessibility features for elections, disability groups raise questions
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Female Special Police Officer in J&K shot dead by terrorists
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 Parenting corner- Managing stress
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
- Events March 20, 2019 Parent Interaction With Jo Chopra
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 With 'Get Going', Chennai NGO Vidya Sagar aims to get disabled people out & about
- Headlines March 20, 2019 One CRPF jawan killed, six others injured in naxal attack
- Headlines March 22, 2019 BJP releases first list of candidates for elections
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 How a Facebook page helped rally a support group for wheelchair users in Kerala
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Understanding Inborn Errors of Metabolism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines March 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News