Animal lovers protest against decision to shoot down tigress Avni
Man has invaded forest lands, destroyed greens and habitats of wild animals. As a result, those handfuls of wild animals that are left back are struggling to survive and stay away from mankind. The ideal example is tigress Avni who lives in the forests of Yavatmal in Maharashtra. According to reports, she has killed 13 people in the last two years. Their bodies were found in the thickets where she lives. Now, the government and forest officials are up in arms against Avni and want her to be shot at sight!
This has infuriated animal lovers, activists and NGO’s across India. They have come together to speak up for Avni, who reportedly has a few cubs as well. The petition on online platform change.org has already received over 54,000 petitions to save Avni. Social media is flooded with the hashtag #saveavni which is going viral. The requests are addressed to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, President Ramnath Kovind and Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
According to officials, Avni is a T1 tiger. Officials have been trying to kill her for the past two years. They even hired international hunters to spot and kill her. But all their efforts to find Avni have gone down the drains.
Last week, a protest was held at Carter Road in Mumbai to save Avni. Many celebrities and activists took part in the protest. Animal lovers in Hyderabad gathered at the Dog’s park at Necklace road on Sunday to show their support for Avni and her cubs. Activists are just not ready to buy the government’s stand of Avni being a threat to locals!
It is easy to kill a majestic animal after humans invade their lands. Undoubtedly, human lives matter too. But the government must be more sensitive. Activists are pointing out that Avni and her cubs must be tranquilised and moved to a safer place instead of killing these animals that are already in the verge of extinction.
Watch in Sign Language
- School, colleges shut in parts of Tamil Nadu ahead of Cyclone Gaja
November 16, 2018
- South African President to be Republic Day chief guest
November 16, 2018
- Deepika & Ranveer’s wedding pictures released
November 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 11, 2018 Facebook launches TikTok like app called 'Lasso'
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
- Accessibility November 13, 2018 This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Actor Akshay Kumar says he never met self-styled god man Ram Rahim
- Headlines November 10, 2018 India & Taliban hold talks on non-official level in Moscow
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
- Events November 15, 2018 Convention Against Sexual Assaults on Women with Disabilities
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 New study links high pollution levels to autism, findings a cause for concern for Indian parents
- Get-hooked November 10, 2018 Abhaya Care Foundation lends a helping hand to children with disabilities
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 The Executive Age of children with ADHD, find out more
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines November 13, 2018
Headlines November 14, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News