Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh will now be known as Prayagraj
October 17, 2018
The famous city of Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh will now be known as Prayagraj.
The state cabinet led by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has approved the name change and it has come into effect from yesterday.
The decision was made public through a media announcement made by Uttar Pradesh Health Minister Sidharth Nath Singh.
He said "The renaming of Allahabad as Prayagraj before Kumbh came for approval in the meeting and I am happy to say Allahabad will now be known as Prayagraj."
The name Prayagraj is taken from a place in the city called Prayag. Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath had earlier announced that Allahabad will be renamed before the Kumbh Mela in 2019.
Prayag is the point where three rivers Ganges, Yamuna and Saraswati meet and is considered holy by people of Hindu community.
The move of UP government has been criticized by the Congress party and the Samajwadi Party. The change in name is being considered a political move by the government.
The Adityanath led government in UP has been changing names of places in the State ever since it was formed. The government has also asked the center for permission to rename airports of Bareilly, Kanpur and Agra.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Exit polls predict comfortable win for BJP
- Accessibility May 21, 2019 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Employment May 16, 2019 Umbrella By Differently Abled empowers people with spinal cord injuries
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 #TechThursdays - Remote-controlled toilet bed is a life saver for people bedridden due to disability
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Pakistani air space to remain shut for Indian flights till 30 May
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 Understanding Chronic Pain
- Headlines May 16, 2019 CRPF bans jawans from playing PUBG game
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
- Parasports May 20, 2019 Passion for sports keeps Amresh's spirits up through the worst of times
- Headlines May 18, 2019 PM says Congress expects to perform badly
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News