Congress loses majority in Goa as 2 MLAs join BJP
October 17, 2018
Congress is no longer the largest party in Goa as two of its MLAs have defected and joined the BJP.
Dayanand Sopte and Subhash Shirodkar resigned from congress and took up the membership of Bharatiya Janata Party, thereby ending the claim of congress to be the majority party of Goa.
Of the 40-member assembly in Goa, Congress had won 17 seats in 2107 but now is left with 14 MLAs only, which is the same as BJP.Bharatiya Janata Party had formed alliance with GFP and MGP party to form the government in the state despite objections from Congress.
In another development, Hasin Jahan, the estranged wife of Indian cricketer Mohammad Shami has joined Congress party. Hasin Jahan is a former model and cheerleader. She has accused her husband of domestic violence and several extra-marital affairs.
Congress's Mumbai President Sanjay Nirupam was present at the occasion.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - From anxiety to empowerment, the journey of Latha Venkatesan
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Pakistani air space to remain shut for Indian flights till 30 May
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 These friends banded together in the aftermath of the Kerala floods to help people with disabilities
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 'Follow your heart, not your brain to find success' - Guest column by Neelu Jindal
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News