Staying fit with a disability is easy, here are some tips
Staying fit is extremely important for a healthy mind and body. A disability does not have come in the way of that. You can still work out and not feel limited by your disability. We have some great ideas for you
Thanks to technology and hi-tech equipment, disabled people can do the same exercises like able-bodied people. Just remember, the key is to keep pushing yourself. This will lead to better endurance, building strength and a healthy mind.
Pradeep Krishnan, a fitness trainer from Kochi, Kerala, says disabled people can do all the exercises that are done by people without disabilities. All they need is persistence and determination.
Wrap a lightweight resistance band under your chair and perform rapid resistance exercises such as chest pressing or stretching your hand. Simple weight punching with or without hand weights is an easy cardio exercise that can be done while seated. Seated dips, push ups, biceps, triceps and squats can be done by people with all kinds of disabilities. We have some great hydraulic machines that help disabled people to stay fit. So if a person does not have movement of legs, they can always use their hands. Times have changed. Disabled people can work out with ease at gyms and training centres- Pradeep Krishnan, Fitness Trainer.
Check out these four awesome and fun physical exercises that you can do from home.
- Sit to stand - This is one of the easiest exercises that you can do while seated on your chair, couch, or bed. Sit on a chair and then stand up straight, and make sure that you keep your posture straight. Keep doing this for at least 20 times. It helps in increasing lower body strength and stability. If you are a wheelchair user, pull yourself up the chair and put force on your legs.
- Cardiovascular exercises - It is extremely important to keep your heart fit and healthy. Cardiovascular exercises help in increasing your heart rate and endurance. Stationary cycling and swimming are great ways to pump up your heart. People who have mobility issues must try water aerobics.
- Flexibility exercise - Do you practice yoga? If not, then hire a trainer and start now. You can figure out a seat of asanas that suit your specific needs and challenges.
Sarath PS is a wheelchair user and an entrepreneur. Sarath hardly gets time to work out due to his busy schedule. But he claims that running his own business keeps him on his feet.
“I really do not have to go to a gym because I do a lot of physical work at my shop. This has physically helped me a lot as well. Usually paraplegic people who have limited mobility have digestive and urinary problems. Urine is usually uncontrollable. But staying fit helps you to stay away from such problems. Now that I do a lot of physical work, I don't face problems”, says Sarath.
Watch in Sign Language
- Sexual assaults on disabled women to come under focus in Delhi convention
November 16, 2018
- Some tips to make learning fun for children with autism
November 16, 2018
- Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
November 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Cyclonic storm lashes coasts of Tamil Nadu, south Andhra
- Education November 14, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Help your child with autism sleep better
- Accessibility November 13, 2018 This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
- Parasports November 16, 2018 Help blind athletes achieve their best by funding sighted guides, says blind Paralympian Ankur Dhama
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Some activities for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Some pre-school activities to improve well-being of disabled children
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Rohit Sharma in list of batsmen with over 200 boundaries in T20Is
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Stephen Hawking's wheelchair & thesis fetch over $1 million at auction
- Headlines November 16, 2018 Deepika & Ranveer’s wedding pictures released
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 13, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News