#MeToo impact: Union Minister M J Akbar resigns over complaints of sexual harassment
After 19 women journalists stepped forward to accuse him of sexual harassment, Union Minister M J Akbar has finally resigned.
Akbar stepped down from the post of Minister of State for External Affairs on Wednesday. He continues to maintain that he is not guilty of any of the charges levelled against him.
On Monday, Akbar had filed a defamation case against journalist Priya Ramani, who was one of the complainants. Twenty former and current employees of The Asian Age, where Akbar was once editor, have supported the accusers.
Akbar’s resignation comes a day before the defamation case comes up in court. He made a statement saying,
Since I have decided to seek justice in a court of law in my personal capacity, I deem it appropriate to step down from office and challenge false accusations levied against me, also in a personal capacity. I have, therefore, tendered my resignation from the office of Minister of State for External Affairs. I am deeply grateful to Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj for the opportunity they gave me to serve my country. - M J Akbar, Former Union Minister
Akbar, who was on a foreign tour when the allegations against him surfaced, had said that he would consider legal action against the women who had accused him of sexual harassment. He issued a statement calling the charges false, fabricated and “spiced up by innuendo and malice”.
Ramani had described how Akbar had called her to a hotel in Mumbai when she was 23 years old. He was 43 years old at the time. He insisted she meet him in his room and not the hotel lobby. He offered her an alcoholic drink and when she refused, drank himself and sang old Hindi songs to her and asked her to sit close to him.
Many other journalists said that Ramani's statement had exposed the larger atmosphere of "sexual predation" that Akbar fostered at The Asian Age. Many journalists accused him of calling women to his hotel rooms for interviews, or making women feel uncomfortable by seeking to be alone with them.
His decision to step down is seen as a victory of the #MeToo movement. Ramani tweeted, "As women we feel vindicated by MJ Akbar’s resignation. I look forward to the day when I will also get justice in court."
There are calls to cancel his Rajya Sabha membership as well. "M J Akbar is still a Rajya Sabha MP. The Speaker should cancel his membership. Ethics committee needs to recommend," said another journalist, Swati Chaturvedi.
Watch in Sign Language
- School, colleges shut in parts of Tamil Nadu ahead of Cyclone Gaja
November 16, 2018
- South African President to be Republic Day chief guest
November 16, 2018
- Deepika & Ranveer’s wedding pictures released
November 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Help your child with autism sleep better
- Accessibility November 12, 2018 I want to make a mobile app accessible to visually impaired! Really? - Guest column by Shilpi Kapoor, Founder, Barrier Break
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 New study links high pollution levels to autism, findings a cause for concern for Indian parents
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Inclusive trek near Bengaluru brings visually impaired & sighted people together
- Headlines November 16, 2018 Deepika & Ranveer’s wedding pictures released
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Unni Maxx talks about his vacation at the paradise of South Africa
- Get-hooked November 10, 2018 Abhaya Care Foundation lends a helping hand to children with disabilities
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 "It was like the whole universe came together" - My Take by Ruma Roka, founder, Noida Deaf Society
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 The Executive Age of children with ADHD, find out more
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines November 13, 2018
Headlines November 14, 2018
Headlines November 11, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News