Kerala shutdowns after protests in Sabarimala
October 19, 2018
According to the Supreme Court verdict, Sabarimala was open to women devotees since Wednesday. Ever since then, Kerala has been witnessing incidents of violence in various parts, especially in the main shrine of Sabarimala. Women journalists from prominent national and international news channels who came to report the events were harassed on Wednesday. Section 144 was imposed in various parts of Sabarimala including Pamba and Nilakkal.
A 24 hour bandh was observed in Kerala by the Antharashtriya Hindu Parishad and Sabarimala Samrakshana Samithi. Incidents of violence were reported in various parts of the state.
On Thursday, New York Times reporter Suhasini Raj attempted to enter the shrine to report news. But she had to return back due to angry protestors who denied her entry. She clearly stated that she will not return back. A reporter from The News Minute was also assaulted on Wednesday. She is currently undergoing treatment for spinal injury.
Meanwhile, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan tweeted that certain opposition parties have been trying to create problems in Sabarimala and hamper the sanctity of the place.
Sabarimala has a uniqueness that other temples lack; it allows entry for people of all faith. Sangh Parivar and RSS have always been intolerant of this fact. They have made many attempts to erase this distinction of Sabarimala- Pinarayi Vijayan, Chief Minister of Kerala.
The Kerala government clearly stated that they will ensure that women devotees face no hurdles while entering the temple. They said that they support the supreme court verdict.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Events June 11, 2019 25th World Cardiology Conference
- Accessibility June 11, 2019 A warrior in the cause of digital accessibility - My Take by Sai Bhagat
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News