Air quality in Delhi dips to very poor, emergency meeting held
October 19, 2018
It's still a few months to go for the winter season and the air quality in the national capital has already dropped to very poor. This rating comes just days after tough measures under the graded response action plan (Grap) came into force in Delhi and surrounding region of NCR.
The air quality index was at 313, which was mainly due to wind speed dropping to zero. Officials say there were other factors as well, like local emissions and stubble burning in the states of Punjab and Haryana.
Pollution levels are likely to rise even more in the next few days. The Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) held a meeting on Thursday to look at what steps need to be taken to stop this dip.
As wind speed dropped to zero, the pollutants could not disperse. Besides that, wind direction has changed to northwest, thereby carrying into Delhi pollutants from stubble burning incidents in Punjab and Haryana. Also, the festive rush on roads is adding to the vehicular emissions. - Central Pollution Control Board.
Meanwhile, steps are being taken to enforce a ban on diesel generator (DG) sets, firewood in hotels, introduce more public transport, and spreading greater public awareness.
There was a move to hike parking fees by three to four times, but this will not come into effect this year as the Delhi Parking Policy 2017 is yet to be notified.
Meanwhile residential organizations are taking to social media to issue health warnings. URJA, an apex body of resident welfare associations, tweeted, "Concentration of pollutants rising by the day. Air quality worsens. Watch your health."
Air pollution has been linked to various health issues, including cardiovascular diseases, reduced cognition and dementia.
Watch in Sign Language
- Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
June 18, 2019
- Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
June 18, 2019
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
June 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan out of World Cup due to injury
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News