Kerala shutdowns after Sabarimala protests intensifies
October 19, 2018
According to the Supreme Court order, Sabarimala was open to women devotees since Wednesday. Ever since then, Kerala has been witnessing incidents of violence in various parts, mainly the main shrine of Sabarimala. Women journalists from prominent national and international news channels who came to report were harassed on Wednesday. Section 144 was imposed in various parts of Sabarimala including Pamba and Nilakkal.
A 24 hour bandh was observed in Kerala by the Antharashtriya Hindu Parishad and Sabarimala Samrakshana Samithi on Thursday. Incidents of violence were reported in various parts of the state.
New York Times reporter Suhasini Raj had attempted to enter the shrine to report news. But she had to return back due to angry protestors who denied her entry. She also stated that she will not return back. A reporter from The News Minute was also assaulted on Wednesday. She is currently undergoing treatment for spinal injury.
Meanwhile, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan tweeted that certain opposition parties have been trying to create a tiff in Sabarimala.
Sabarimala has a uniqueness that other temples lack; it allows entry for people of all faith. Sangh Parivar and RSS have always been intolerant of this fact. They have made many attempts to erase this distinction of Sabarimala- Pinarayi Vijayan, Chief Minister of Kerala.
The Kerala government clearly stated that they will ensure that women devotees face no hurdles while entering the temple. They said that they support the supreme court verdict and will ensure that law and order is done smoothly.
Watch in Sign Language
- World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
June 16, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
June 16, 2019
- Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Dhoni gets government support on gloves issue
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Accept, Respect, Empower each other - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Headlines June 9, 2019 Ex-union minister Aslam Sher Khan offers to replace Rahul Gandhi
- Accessibility June 11, 2019 A warrior in the cause of digital accessibility - My Take by Sai Bhagat
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News