Kerala shutdowns after Sabarimala protests intensifies
October 19, 2018
According to the Supreme Court order, Sabarimala was open to women devotees since Wednesday. Ever since then, Kerala has been witnessing incidents of violence in various parts, mainly the main shrine of Sabarimala. Women journalists from prominent national and international news channels who came to report were harassed on Wednesday. Section 144 was imposed in various parts of Sabarimala including Pamba and Nilakkal.
A 24 hour bandh was observed in Kerala by the Antharashtriya Hindu Parishad and Sabarimala Samrakshana Samithi on Thursday. Incidents of violence were reported in various parts of the state.
New York Times reporter Suhasini Raj had attempted to enter the shrine to report news. But she had to return back due to angry protestors who denied her entry. She also stated that she will not return back. A reporter from The News Minute was also assaulted on Wednesday. She is currently undergoing treatment for spinal injury.
Meanwhile, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan tweeted that certain opposition parties have been trying to create a tiff in Sabarimala.
Sabarimala has a uniqueness that other temples lack; it allows entry for people of all faith. Sangh Parivar and RSS have always been intolerant of this fact. They have made many attempts to erase this distinction of Sabarimala- Pinarayi Vijayan, Chief Minister of Kerala.
The Kerala government clearly stated that they will ensure that women devotees face no hurdles while entering the temple. They said that they support the supreme court verdict and will ensure that law and order is done smoothly.
Watch in Sign Language
- 13 dead in Mumbai building collapse
July 19, 2019
- Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
July 18, 2019
- Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
July 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 #RareDiseases - Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this genetic brain disorder
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Kumaraswamy calls for floor test amid political crisis
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Virat shares message with fans after loss
- Events July 16, 2019 Open Voices Conference
- Accessibility July 12, 2019 Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation gets set to make buildings accessible
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Rohit Sharma to lead India for West Indies series
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Skills training programme for people with autism in Ernakulam
- Lifestyle July 17, 2019 No lace sports shoes for kids – Affordable, convenient and takes away the pain!
- Parasports July 17, 2019 India Divyang Cricket Team is raring to make its mark in first ever world series
- Events July 18, 2019 Exclusive Job Fair For Differently Abled
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News