59 people dead as train runs them over in Amritsar
October 20, 2018
The news of a massive tragic incident in Punjab has marred the celebrations of Dussehra. Around 59 people lost their lives in Amritsar in Punjab while attending the burning of a Ravan effigy.
The people were run over by a train near Joda Phatak area of Choura Bazar. The said train was going from Jalandhar to Amritsar.
As per reports, a large number of people had gathered in the area to see the burning of a Ravan effigy. However, they moved towards nearby train tracks to get away from the flames, when the fireworks started.
Unfortunately, two trains arrived from the opposite direction at the same time and people were run over and most died on the spot.
It is being said that people did not hear the sounds of the approaching trains due to the noise of fire crackers.
Several people took to social media to express shock and sorrow about the incident.
Railway Minister Piyush Goyal tweeted "Shocked and deeply saddened by the tragic train incident that occurred in Amritsar. My heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims. I pray for the injured to recover quickly. Railways is conducting immediate relief and rescue operations."
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has also announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakhs for the family of people who have died and Rs 50,000 for the injured. He tweeted,"Extremely saddened by the train accident in Amritsar. The tragedy is heart-wrenching."
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News