Making gardening fun for wheelchair users
Nature has a therapeutic effect on everyone. Planting, weeding, watering and seeing your plants grow and give flowers feels great.
It's a joy we don't get to experience much in a city where green spaces are at a premium. Parks and gardens are a rare sight.
But we can always make our own green space in our small homes. Whether you live in an apartment or in a house, try and make sure that you do some gardening. This will add to the beauty of your home and refreshe you.
If you are a wheelchair user looking for some gardening tips, we have some side as for you. First, you must understand the space constraints, how much time you have and personal boundaries.
Prajith Jaipal is a wheelchair user and disability rights activist from Kerala. His love for nature and gardening knows no boundaries. Of course he also has the luxury of having a large space to let nature run wild. One can't help but feel envious!
I have a property where I coconut and pepper trees. I love to see plants that are fruitful. Watching them grow and bloom is such a delight. It is always great to connect with nature. I even grow sweet lime and lemons at home. - Prajith Jaipal.
Check out these four tips to make gardening fun for wheelchair users
- Choose the height and width appropriate for you. Make sure you plant something that you can reach so you attend to them easily. If the plant bed is at a height, you will face difficulty in watering or pruning them. Do some research on the plants that you want to grow, the methods of growing it and so on.
- Store garden tools nearby - You must have the right tools to pluck out weeds, dig the soil and so on. Ensure that everything is kept at a place that is easily accessible. If you keep all the required tools together, you will not have difficulty.
- Research - Gardening is not as easy it might sound. Each plant demands different ways for its care. You must have a detailed insight into this. Today, there are many online mediums that introduce you to different plants and ways of taking care of them. You can even order plants online! A thorough research on this will help you have a better and planned garden.
- Have an extra chair for visitors - Who doesn’t love to show off toils of their hard work? We all have friends and family who visits us often. If you love gardening, make sure that you introduce your garden to visitors. This helps in boosting your confidence and definitely makes you feel good! It is ideal to keep an extra chair at your garden or the balcony where you do your gardening. That way, you can have eye to eye contact with the visitor and show them the fruits of your hard work!
Unni Maxx from Kerala loves gardening. He is a graphic designer and an ardent lover of nature.
“I feel that accessibility is what matters the most. When you take care of a plant, you must be able to give it full attention”, says Unni Maxx.
Watch in Sign Language
- Filmmaker Rustom Irani to explore legal options against Jet Airways for alleged manhandling on flight
November 16, 2018
- Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
November 15, 2018
- This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
November 13, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility November 15, 2018 Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
- Technology November 13, 2018 Engineering student develops app called Myability that speaks out typed text
- Accessibility November 16, 2018 Filmmaker Rustom Irani to explore legal options against Jet Airways for alleged manhandling on flight
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Actor Akshay Kumar says he never met self-styled god man Ram Rahim
- Technology November 12, 2018 Manovue glove opens doors to visually impaired people who do not know Braille
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Congress fields Ashok Gehlot, Sachin Pilot in Rajasthan, no clarity on who will be CM
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Stephen Hawking's wheelchair & thesis fetch over $1 million at auction
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Air India pilot found drunk before flight
- Get-hooked November 9, 2018 Arunima Sinha, first female amputee to climb Mount Everest, gets honorary doctorate in the UK
- Employment November 9, 2018 Career options for people with learning disabilities
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News