Three more women denied entry into Sabarimala
October 22, 2018
On the fifth day, protests at Sabarimala are going to strong. Three more women who tried to enter the shrine were blocked by angry devotees and temple authorities. Ever since Wednesday, no women of menstruating age have been able to enter the shrine. Temple authorities have decided to shut down the temple from Monday after the monthly pooja gets over. This tradition of closing down the temple has been followed since past many decades.
When a few women managed to enter the temple over the past few days, the main priest thanthri Kandararu Rajeevan said that he will not open the main shrine. This created a lot of agitation and anger amongst those who have been trying to enter the shrine. In spite of police protection, they were unable to enter.
Meanwhile, Kerala ruling party CPI (M) has criticised the temple authorities for deciding to shut down the temple. Ministers MM Mani and G Sudhakaran said that the monarchy era has ended. But Pandalam trust and temple authorities are just doing that.
On September 28, the Supreme Court had lifted the age old ban of women not entering the shrine. Women of menstruating age were barred from entering the temple premises since past many decades.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 25, 2019 #AutismPower – These budding masterchefs whip up some mouth-watering delights
- Accessibility April 23, 2019 Chennai airport's new terminal to show a disabled-friendly, accessible face
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Over 200 dead in Sri Lanka blasts
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Accessibility April 24, 2019 Accessible voting promise a sham says activist Arman Ali, shares experience on social media
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News