Kerala nun rape case - Key witness found dead, foul play alleged
October 23, 2018
A twist in the allegations of rape against Jalandhar bishop Franco Mulakkal, who has been accused by a nun of raping her over 13 times. The case against the bishop, who was recently granted bail, and given a rapturous welcome, may ahve substantially weakened with one of the key witnesses, Father Kuriakose Kattuthara found dead at a church in Hoshiarpur at Punjab.
62-year-old Kattuthara was found dead with blood pressure medicines lying next to his body. There were no traces of blood or injury marks on him
Kattuthara was apparently worried that he may be killed. He had been attacked earlier by unknown assailants after he spoke against the bishop. He also told his family that he was under constant pressure to change his statements. His family had requested for an investigation.
Speaking to the media, his brother said they "have no faith in the Punjab Police," and alleged that the police want to do the post mortem without letting the family know. "Is there any guarantee that this will be done without foul play?", they asked.
A few nuns had come together to fight against the injustice shown to the rape survivor. One of the nuns said that they were not being allowed to speak to Father Kattuthara for the past many days, even on the phone.
The survivor stated that the bishop raped her when he came to Kerala between 2013 and 2016. He resigned as bishop after the allegations came to light.
Watch in Sign Language
- Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
June 18, 2019
- Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
June 18, 2019
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
June 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News