VAADA app promises to make voting accessible in Telangana for people with disabilities
Good news for voters with disabilities in Telangana. In a major step towards making the voting process accessible, Chief Election Commissioner Om Prakash Rawat released VAADA, the Voter Accessibility App for Differently Abled in Hyderabad on Tuesday.
VAADA, which means a promise, is a joint of the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) and the Election Commission of India (ECI).
VAADA makes voting convenient as well as increase the accessibility factor. The app has text, voice and a Geographic Information System (GIS) interface. The interface has been included keeping in mind the challenges of persons with disabilities. It helps to locate the user.
VAADA can be downloaded from Google play store. The user has to enter their mobile number, type of disability and the assistance required. These details can be filled in text and is also voice enabled. This means the user does not have to type.
Once the user enters the details, the location details are captured using coordinates. Geo-referenced maps showing the 3000 plus polling booth locations in the 15 constituencies are linked to the app.
Disability rights activists say VAADA will reduce many of the inconveniences faced by voetsr on polling day.
I believe mobile app will help them go to the right polling booths. They will also get a better insight into whom they would want to vote. Usually, disabled people have to get help of others when they go to vote. Hopefully this new app will make them do it independently. - Sai Baba Goud, Founder, Devnar Foundation for the Blind, Telangana & Andhra Pradesh
The locations of disabled people will be geo-tagged to the specific polling stations to enable transport, attendants at the preferred time.
VAADA is just one in a series of measures launched by the EC to make voting truly inclusive in the coming elections. It has plans to print voter ID cards in Braille, teach sign language to officials, etc. Measures that have been welcomed by disabled voters, for whom the exercise so far has a difficult one. The biggest challenge, as Roopa Rajendran, a wheelchair user in Chennai points out, is the inaccessibility at various levels at the polling booth itself.
"Getting to the booth is so difficult," says Rajendran, who is the Co-founder, of NGO Yetram, which reaches out to people with muscular dystrophy. "There are no ramps to take the wheelchair up and even the counters are placed so high, it is hard to reach the machine. The booths are also quite small and it is hard to navigate the wheelchair inside."
Complaints the EC has promised to address in the next round of elections.
Watch in Sign Language
- This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
November 13, 2018
- I want to make a mobile app accessible to visually impaired! Really? - Guest column by Shilpi Kapoor, Founder, Barrier Break
November 12, 2018
- Actual number of disabled voters in Telangana missing from list, activists ask for special campaign
November 10, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 Some shopping tips for blind people
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Inclusive trek near Bengaluru brings visually impaired & sighted people together
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Stephen Hawking's wheelchair & thesis fetch over $1 million at auction
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Cyclonic storm lashes coasts of Tamil Nadu, south Andhra
- Parasports November 11, 2018 Want to stay active? Check out these sports for disabled people
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Prime Minister Modi launches projects over ₹2,400 crore in Varanasi
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Unni Maxx talks about his vacation at the paradise of South Africa
- Headlines November 11, 2018 ‘Thugs of Hindostan’ crosses Rs 50 crore on first day of release
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Some activities for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Parasports November 7, 2018 India's wheelchair basketball players get tips from the best in the game at Chennai camp
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018