Pinkathon & White Cane awareness went hand in hand at this Kerala event
October 25, 2018
15 October is celebrated as White Cane Day. This year, many NGOs and activists came forward to create awareness about white cane and how it has changed the lives of many blind people.
A group of youngsters from Thiruvananthapuram, the capital city of Kerala, did their bit too. They organized an inclusive Pinkathon event on 21 October with members of Jyothirgamaya participated. This NGO works for the empowerment of blind people.
Tiffany Brar, who is the founder of the NGO, participated in the 5-km run along with others.
Pinkathon is conducted to create awareness on breast cancer and show the world the spirit of survivors. The run is held in major cities in India at different times of the year. The organizers at Pinkathon did an awesome job of making it an inclusive event.
After the run, Brar gave a short speech on the importance of a white cane.
I feel that it is a great platform to create awareness on white cane, which is an integral part in the lives of blind people. There was a feeling of solidarity throughout the event. Now I am sure that I can spread awareness and reach a larger crowd- Tiffany Brar, Founder, Jyothirgamaya.
Many people decided to get blindfolded to get a better insight into ghe lives of blind people. They were guided by Jeelu Jacob and Muskan Patwari, both of whom are blind women who are strong and independent.
Sobha Vishwanath is the brand ambassador of Pinkathon. She is also an active member of the organizing committee.
"This year, we celebrated white cane day and decided to make the Pinkathon event inclusive. Tiffany was invited for the event as part of spreading awareness and to show how empowered many blind people are. We plan to bat for inclusion for the next Pinkathon as well", says Sobha.
This Pinkathon clubbed with white cane awareness day truly showed the spirits of strong and empowered blind women. We just cannot wait for the next Pinkathon in Thiruvananthapuram where more people from the disabled community will be given a platform to showcase their undying spirits!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 20, 2019 Anxiety Disorders & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Headlines June 24, 2019 India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
- Headlines June 27, 2019 Father pleads guilty in death of adoptive disabled child
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Snehankit Helpline for visually impaired students is helping them shine in academics
- Headlines June 25, 2019 RBI Deputy Governor resigns
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News