This cafe in Chennai is unique for many reasons
October 26, 2018
When you enter the Writer's Cafe outlet in Chennai, you just cannot miss the positivity that engulfs the space. With Diwali round the corner, the staffs are busy packing sweets and ice-creams with lots of love as an added ingredient.
The 15 girls employed here are acid attack survivors and people with disabilities. Their grit and determination to bounce back to life is inspiring. They have undergone trauma and harassment all their lives. But now, their jobs have given them a new lease of life.
Writer's Cafe was founded by Mahadevan in 2016. There are many people who are victims of domestic abuse and various kinds of trauma. He wanted to do his bit to empower men, women and children who are underprivileged and is going through hardships in life. Mahadevan knew that the best way was to empower them was by making them self-sustained through employment. That is how Writer's Cafe was born.
Initially, they started it as a restaurant that soon acquired a new avataar as a bakery-cum-creamery. Now, youngsters, college students and families come here to enjoy some yummy food.
We have multiple outlets in Chennai now. We plan to spread wings to Bengaluru next, and then to a few other cities as well. We also hope that we can empower underprivileged children through education. Ever since our venture kick-started, we have been able to break into the market. We ensure that only the best imported products go into the making of our bakery stuff. We are focused on spreading awareness about acid attack and disabilities. We wanted to do something different, and here we are!- Tarun Mahadevan, Business Development Manager, Writer's Cafe.
Writer's Cafe has joined hands with NGO's Sankalp and Spastics Society of Tamil Nadu in order to reach out to more people who need help.
This cafe ensures that they do not compromise on quality of their items. Hence, Mahadevan sent his chief chef to Italy to know more about the art of ice-cream making. He has come back to India to train the girls at the cafe on how to make some delicious Italian ice-creams.
When you enter the cafe, you wouldn't miss the stacked books from Higginbotham's that are for sale. Tarun proudly says that there is no dull moment at Writer's Cafe for both staff and customers who visit their outlet.
Nitya Srivastava is a regular at Writer's Cafe. Srivastava is totally bowled over by the place.
"There are very few places which steal a part of your heart and this place is definitely one of those! This is a cafe which does not just serve amazing food but also supports a cause. I was impressed with the sort of happiness that this cafe radiates. If you're looking for an amazing place to spend time alone or with a group, this place will never disappoint you. Adding a cherry on top, they have an amazing book store as well. This is must visit place and you can thank me later," says Srivastava.
Watch in Sign Language
- Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
April 20, 2019
- Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
April 20, 2019
- #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
April 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Black Hole image creator is a media star
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News