This cafe in Chennai is unique for many reasons
When you enter the Writer’s Cafe outlet in Chennai, you just cannot miss the positivity that engulfs the space. With Diwali round the corner, the staffs are busy packing sweets and ice-creams with lots of love as an added ingredient.
The 15 girls employed here are acid attack survivors and people with disabilities. Their grit and determination to bounce back to life is inspiring. They have undergone trauma and harassment all their lives. But now, their jobs have given them a new lease of life.
Writer’s Cafe was founded by Mahadevan in 2016. There are many people who are victims of domestic abuse and various kinds of trauma. He wanted to do his bit to empower men, women and children who are underprivileged and is going through hardships in life. Mahadevan knew that the best way was to empower them was by making them self-sustained through employment. That is how Writer’s Cafe was born.
Initially, they started it as a restaurant that soon acquired a new avataar as a bakery-cum-creamery. Now, youngsters, college students and families come here to enjoy some yummy food.
We have multiple outlets in Chennai now. We plan to spread wings to Bengaluru next, and then to a few other cities as well. We also hope that we can empower underprivileged children through education. Ever since our venture kick-started, we have been able to break into the market. We ensure that only the best imported products go into the making of our bakery stuff. We are focused on spreading awareness about acid attack and disabilities. We wanted to do something different, and here we are!- Tarun Mahadevan, Business Development Manager, Writer’s Cafe.
Writer’s Cafe has joined hands with NGO's Sankalp and Spastics Society of Tamil Nadu in order to reach out to more people who need help.
This cafe ensures that they do not compromise on quality of their items. Hence, Mahadevan sent his chief chef to Italy to know more about the art of ice-cream making. He has come back to India to train the girls at the cafe on how to make some delicious Italian ice-creams.
When you enter the cafe, you wouldn’t miss the stacked books from Higginbotham’s that are for sale. Tarun proudly says that there is no dull moment at Writer’s Cafe for both staff and customers who visit their outlet.
Nitya Srivastava is a regular at Writer’s Cafe. Srivastava is totally bowled over by the place.
“There are very few places which steal a part of your heart and this place is definitely one of those! This is a cafe which does not just serve amazing food but also supports a cause. I was impressed with the sort of happiness that this cafe radiates. If you're looking for an amazing place to spend time alone or with a group, this place will never disappoint you. Adding a cherry on top, they have an amazing book store as well. This is must visit place and you can thank me later,” says Srivastava.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Headlines February 11, 2019 SBI warns customers on ATM frauds
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
- Headlines February 13, 2019 17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019