Police nab 4 men spying outside ousted CBI chief Alok Verma’s house
October 26, 2018
Four men were spotted spying outside the home of Alok Verma, former chief of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). They have been detained by the police.
Investigation has shown that they are junior assistant officers of the Investigation Bureau (IB). The men have submitted identification proofs to the police.
According to the bureau, the men were sent to Verma's house to look into the unusual flow of guests at the house. Verma's high security residence is located at Janpath Road in New Delhi. Police spotted them taking turns to watch Verma's house from behind parked cars. They were clearly hiding. CCTV visuals show the men being nabbed and dragged by their shirts and taken away by the cops.
The police said that they have not arrested any of them. After clarifications, they were allowed to leave. The CBI said that there is no foul play involved.
Alok Verma, his deputy Rakesh Asthana and many other officers of the CBI have been sent on leave by the Modi government who has been facing heavy criticism after this move.
Verma has accused the Modi government of interfering with the independence and autonomy of the CBI. He has challenged his dismissal in the Supreme Court and said that taking away his powers, was "patently illegal." He has also hinted that he was removed for investigating cases inconvenient to the government.
In a strongly worded petition, Verma has alleged,
The Central Vigilance Commission) and the Central Government have overnight taken the impugned decisions to divest the petitioner of his complete role as Director CBI and to appoint another individual in his stead. These actions are patently illegal for the reasons. - Alok Verma petition
He has accused the government of eroding the credibility of the CBI.
Watch in Sign Language
- Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
June 18, 2019
- Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
June 18, 2019
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
June 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Wheelchair no barrier for a fit & healthy lifestyle, here's why
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News