Nishtha Dudeja is first Indian to be crowned Miss Deaf Asia 2018 crown
October 27, 2018
Haryana girls are making the country proud.
After Ekta Bhyan made history by becoming the second Indian woman to win a gold medal in the recent Asian Para Games, now comes news of Nishtha Dudeja, who is the first from Haryana to win the title of Miss Deaf Asia 2018 at the 18th edition of Miss and Mister Deaf World - Europe - Asia Beauty Pageant 2018 held at Prague.
Nishtha, who was born deaf, is the first Indian to win any title at the prestigious competition.
Post her won, a happy Nishtha put up a message on Facebook:
Thank you INDIA. Your love and affection has brought me to this stage of getting Miss Deaf Asia 2018 Crown. I am so grateful to the people of my beautiful country for their blessings. - Nishtha Dudeja
She also thanked her parents for their "consistent support" and says she is determined to help "deprived people even at the cost of my comfort." Nishtha also used the win to make a strong case for inclusion. "I believe that the differently-abled people don't need pity. They only deserve equal opportunities to prove themselves. "
The new Miss Deaf Asia had some tough competition from contestants from China, Thailand, Taiwan, Israel, Czech Republic, Belarus, Mexico and South Africa. A graduate from Delhi University, Nishtha is currently pursuing a Masters in economics from Mithibai College in Mumbai. She had earlier won the Miss Asia Deaf 2018 title in Jaipur.
She is not just good at academics, but sports as well. She plays tennis and has taken part in Deaflympics 2013 and 2017, and the World Deaf Tennis Championship 2015.
It's a win that made everyone in India, especially the deaf community very proud. Nishtha's Facebook page has been flooded with compliments since she posted news of her win.
Kusumita Bhattacharya posted, "Thank you for making our country feel that we r beautiful. Proud moment." Shukar Malhotra commented that by winning the crown she had "created new history and deserves congratulations."
Watch in Sign Language
- Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
April 20, 2019
- Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
April 20, 2019
- #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
April 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News