Nishtha Dudeja is first Indian to be crowned Miss Deaf Asia 2018 crown
October 27, 2018
Haryana girls are making the country proud.
After Ekta Bhyan made history by becoming the second Indian woman to win a gold medal in the recent Asian Para Games, now comes news of Nishtha Dudeja, who is the first from Haryana to win the title of Miss Deaf Asia 2018 at the 18th edition of Miss and Mister Deaf World - Europe - Asia Beauty Pageant 2018 held at Prague.
Nishtha, who was born deaf, is the first Indian to win any title at the prestigious competition.
Post her won, a happy Nishtha put up a message on Facebook:
Thank you INDIA. Your love and affection has brought me to this stage of getting Miss Deaf Asia 2018 Crown. I am so grateful to the people of my beautiful country for their blessings. - Nishtha Dudeja
She also thanked her parents for their "consistent support" and says she is determined to help "deprived people even at the cost of my comfort." Nishtha also used the win to make a strong case for inclusion. "I believe that the differently-abled people don't need pity. They only deserve equal opportunities to prove themselves. "
The new Miss Deaf Asia had some tough competition from contestants from China, Thailand, Taiwan, Israel, Czech Republic, Belarus, Mexico and South Africa. A graduate from Delhi University, Nishtha is currently pursuing a Masters in economics from Mithibai College in Mumbai. She had earlier won the Miss Asia Deaf 2018 title in Jaipur.
She is not just good at academics, but sports as well. She plays tennis and has taken part in Deaflympics 2013 and 2017, and the World Deaf Tennis Championship 2015.
It's a win that made everyone in India, especially the deaf community very proud. Nishtha's Facebook page has been flooded with compliments since she posted news of her win.
Kusumita Bhattacharya posted, "Thank you for making our country feel that we r beautiful. Proud moment." Shukar Malhotra commented that by winning the crown she had "created new history and deserves congratulations."
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Headlines June 17, 2019 More deaths due to encephalitis in Bihar
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News