Nishtha Dudeja is first Indian to be crowned Miss Deaf Asia 2018 crown
Haryana girls are making the country proud.
After Ekta Bhyan made history by becoming the second Indian woman to win a gold medal in the recent Asian Para Games, now comes news of Nishtha Dudeja, who is the first from Haryana to win the title of Miss Deaf Asia 2018 at the 18th edition of Miss and Mister Deaf World - Europe - Asia Beauty Pageant 2018 held at Prague.
Nishtha, who was born deaf, is the first Indian to win any title at the prestigious competition.
Post her won, a happy Nishtha put up a message on Facebook:
Thank you INDIA. Your love and affection has brought me to this stage of getting Miss Deaf Asia 2018 Crown. I am so grateful to the people of my beautiful country for their blessings. - Nishtha Dudeja
She also thanked her parents for their "consistent support" and says she is determined to help "deprived people even at the cost of my comfort." Nishtha also used the win to make a strong case for inclusion. "I believe that the differently-abled people don't need pity. They only deserve equal opportunities to prove themselves. "
The new Miss Deaf Asia had some tough competition from contestants from China, Thailand, Taiwan, Israel, Czech Republic, Belarus, Mexico and South Africa. A graduate from Delhi University, Nishtha is currently pursuing a Masters in economics from Mithibai College in Mumbai. She had earlier won the Miss Asia Deaf 2018 title in Jaipur.
She is not just good at academics, but sports as well. She plays tennis and has taken part in Deaflympics 2013 and 2017, and the World Deaf Tennis Championship 2015.
It's a win that made everyone in India, especially the deaf community very proud. Nishtha's Facebook page has been flooded with compliments since she posted news of her win.
Kusumita Bhattacharya posted, "Thank you for making our country feel that we r beautiful. Proud moment." Shukar Malhotra commented that by winning the crown she had "created new history and deserves congratulations."
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Education February 19, 2019 The Gati initiative is enabling mainstream Mumbai schools to provide high quality, inclusive education
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News