Pre-Diwali bash sale at this school in Ahmadabad is now the talk of the town
Pearl Special Needs Foundation, an NGO that empowers children and teenagers with disabilities focuses on developing both academic and vocational skills.
Located in Ahmadabad, the foundation reaches out to children with autism and other disabilities. Once the children reach a certain level in academics, they are given vocational training so they can learn skills that enable them to earn a living and be financially independent.
They recently held an exhibition-cum-sale of products made exclusively by children with disabilities. This pre Diwali sale was a huge hit, with over 600 people making their presence felt. For a first-time venture, this was pretty good.
Dr Griva Shah, Bijal Fadia and Sonia Parikh who are the founders are happy with the success.
We try and make our children economically independent. They must know to stand on their own feet. Our pre-Diwali sale was done on a trial basis. We are glad that so many people turned up. We hope to do more such events in the future as well. Dr Griva Shah, Co-founder, Pearl Special Needs Foundation.
The event was great exposure for the children who were seen participating actively. They spoke about their products with the customers and were happy when their items got sold.
Twenty children with various kinds of disabilities showcased handmade products at the event. These included door hangings, soaps, and floating candles to name a few. Over 900 products were sold.
Shaily Sood's son, Anmol was among those who got to be a part of the event. The 20-year-old loved the experience of selling his candles and soaps.
“I have never seen him working so hard with passion throughout an entire day. He gave his full attention to both making and selling the products that he made. Watching him sit at the counter and handle things on his own gave me immense pleasure and satisfaction. Even I love making such handmade products. So me and Anmol are going to do it at home and sell it out for Diwali”, says Sood.
This Diwali is truly going to be special for these children at Pearl Foundation. They are going to celebrate by buying clothes and products that were earned with their hard earned money.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Valentine’s Day plans - NewzHook readers share some ideas
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 16, 2019
Get-hooked February 17, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News