Pre-Diwali bash sale at this school in Ahmadabad is now the talk of the town
October 28, 2018
Pearl Special Needs Foundation, an NGO that empowers children and teenagers with disabilities focuses on developing both academic and vocational skills.
Located in Ahmadabad, the foundation reaches out to children with autism and other disabilities. Once the children reach a certain level in academics, they are given vocational training so they can learn skills that enable them to earn a living and be financially independent.
They recently held an exhibition-cum-sale of products made exclusively by children with disabilities. This pre Diwali sale was a huge hit, with over 600 people making their presence felt. For a first-time venture, this was pretty good.
Dr Griva Shah, Bijal Fadia and Sonia Parikh who are the founders are happy with the success.
We try and make our children economically independent. They must know to stand on their own feet. Our pre-Diwali sale was done on a trial basis. We are glad that so many people turned up. We hope to do more such events in the future as well. Dr Griva Shah, Co-founder, Pearl Special Needs Foundation.
The event was great exposure for the children who were seen participating actively. They spoke about their products with the customers and were happy when their items got sold.
Twenty children with various kinds of disabilities showcased handmade products at the event. These included door hangings, soaps, and floating candles to name a few. Over 900 products were sold.
Shaily Sood's son, Anmol was among those who got to be a part of the event. The 20-year-old loved the experience of selling his candles and soaps.
"I have never seen him working so hard with passion throughout an entire day. He gave his full attention to both making and selling the products that he made. Watching him sit at the counter and handle things on his own gave me immense pleasure and satisfaction. Even I love making such handmade products. So me and Anmol are going to do it at home and sell it out for Diwali", says Sood.
This Diwali is truly going to be special for these children at Pearl Foundation. They are going to celebrate by buying clothes and products that were earned with their hard earned money.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News