#MeToo impact - 7 prominent Carnatic singers banned from important festival
October 29, 2018
The impact of the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment of women has had its latest impact. The Madras Music Academy has barred seven artistes from performing in the prestigious Margazhi festival in Chennai this year. The festival is held in December every year.
This is after well-known singer Chinmayi Sripaada spoke out against lyricist Vairamuthuon Twitter earlier this week. Soon, many other artistes came forward to accuse other prominent musicians in the academy.
Speaking to the media, the academy said it cannot "remain silent on what's happening" and decided to act after speaking to "unbiased people in the industry."
Sripada later too to Twitter to annouce her reaction:
Thank you for giving cognisance to victims Music Academy. Thank you for leading by example. - Chimayi Sripada, Singer
Among the seven are prominent singers like O S Thyagarajan and Chitraveena N Ravikiran,, who is a vocalist-cum-instrumentalist. Ravikiran said he would not perform until his name was cleared. He tweeted, "Taking a stance to suspend my performances until I can clear the air to my satisfaction."
The academy's response has come in for praise from many prominent Chennai residents. Among them is veteran journalist N Ram, who said, "The Music Academy, Chennai acts quickly, applying just & transparent criteria in positive response to #MeToo."
Other Carnatic musicians such as T M Krishna and Swarnamalya Ganesh have promised to prevent sexual harassment in Carnatic circles, and create a safe environment for upcoming artistes.
The #MeToo movement was sparked off in India after former Tanushree Dutta accused veteran actor Nana Patekar of harassing her on a film set 10 years ago.
Watch in Sign Language
- World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
June 16, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
June 16, 2019
- Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Get-hooked June 13, 2019 Feeling body positive when you have a disability
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Dhoni gets government support on gloves issue
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
- Accessibility June 11, 2019 A warrior in the cause of digital accessibility - My Take by Sai Bhagat
- Events June 11, 2019 From the ‘Whys’ to the ‘Hows’
- Headlines June 9, 2019 Imran Khan invites PM Modi for peace talks
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News