Paracare creates some great adaptive clothing for people with disabilities
Just 21 years old, Harshit Bhassin from New Delhi has created something quite unique. He has founded Paracare, an exclusive adaptive clothing brand for people with all kinds of disabilities.
The idea came to him two years ago when Bhassin attended a wedding. He noticed that the groom’s father, a wheelchair user, was wearing track pants for one of the functions. That is when he realised what few options disabled people have when it comes to fashionable wear and the idea was born.
Paracare was launched eight months ago and Bhassin has 10 regular customers who are love his designs. He relies on a few vendors for the products he needs and designs the clothes as per the customers' choice.
I worked on the idea in my second year of college, and conducted surveys on how to make this work. But when I decided to implement it, I struggled to find support. I approached over 70 vendors, of whom 60 discouraged me. They said I was new and clueless about market demands. - Harshin Bhassin, CEO, Paracare.
Undeterred, Bhassin decided to stitch the clothes on his own. But only a few people were willing to help him. "There are at least 3,000 fashion designers in New Delhi alone. But none of them design for people with disabilities. Every person has the right to look smart and attractive. I always had a connection to disabled people and wanted to do something for the community."
So, if you have a disability and need to put a set of clothes together for a family function or a get together, Bhassin is your man. And he has a range for you to choose from like waistcoats, shirts, pants and T-shirts for men. He also makes designs sarees, kurtas, blouses, tops, shirts and pants for women. He does not want to hurry into making kid’s clothes because that needs a lot more care and attention. Bhassin says that once he has more experience, he will venture into kid’s clothing as well.
Pulkit Sharma is a wheelchair user and video blogger who is among Bhassin's regular customers.
“I happened to watch him on a television show talking about Paracare. I instantly got in touch with him on social media. I gave him all body measurements. Since then, he has been designing some great clothes for me. They are very comfortable and make me look great! Earlier, I needed help to get into certain clothes. Now, I can do it on my own,” says Pulkit.
Bhassin aims to go international with Paracare. He has some ambitious plans like designing exclusive clothing for para sportspersons for the Paralympics. He believes an exclusive adaptive clothing line is a great way to motivate disabled people.
Watch in Sign Language
- Filmmaker Rustom Irani to explore legal options against Jet Airways for alleged manhandling on flight
November 16, 2018
- Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
November 15, 2018
- This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
November 13, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 9, 2018 Virat Kohli apologises after getting trolled for 'Leave India' comment to fan
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Some pre-school activities to improve well-being of disabled children
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Help your child with autism sleep better
- Parasports November 15, 2018 Mumbai to play host to second wheelchair basketball camp in November
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Some activities for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Events November 15, 2018 BGFI's Accessible Tour to Mumbai Dockyard
- Parasports November 9, 2018 First ever Blind Volley Ball Tournament to be held in Karnataka
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prayatna Counselling & Early Intervention Centre is on the journey of making a positive change
- Headlines November 11, 2018 Deepika & Ranveer leave for Italy for wedding next week
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News