Paracare creates some great adaptive clothing for people with disabilities
Just 21 years old, Harshit Bhassin from New Delhi has created something quite unique. He has founded Paracare, an exclusive adaptive clothing brand for people with all kinds of disabilities.
The idea came to him two years ago when Bhassin attended a wedding. He noticed that the groom’s father, a wheelchair user, was wearing track pants for one of the functions. That is when he realised what few options disabled people have when it comes to fashionable wear and the idea was born.
Paracare was launched eight months ago and Bhassin has 10 regular customers who are love his designs. He relies on a few vendors for the products he needs and designs the clothes as per the customers' choice.
I worked on the idea in my second year of college, and conducted surveys on how to make this work. But when I decided to implement it, I struggled to find support. I approached over 70 vendors, of whom 60 discouraged me. They said I was new and clueless about market demands. - Harshin Bhassin, CEO, Paracare.
Undeterred, Bhassin decided to stitch the clothes on his own. But only a few people were willing to help him. "There are at least 3,000 fashion designers in New Delhi alone. But none of them design for people with disabilities. Every person has the right to look smart and attractive. I always had a connection to disabled people and wanted to do something for the community."
So, if you have a disability and need to put a set of clothes together for a family function or a get together, Bhassin is your man. And he has a range for you to choose from like waistcoats, shirts, pants and T-shirts for men. He also makes designs sarees, kurtas, blouses, tops, shirts and pants for women. He does not want to hurry into making kid’s clothes because that needs a lot more care and attention. Bhassin says that once he has more experience, he will venture into kid’s clothing as well.
Pulkit Sharma is a wheelchair user and video blogger who is among Bhassin's regular customers.
“I happened to watch him on a television show talking about Paracare. I instantly got in touch with him on social media. I gave him all body measurements. Since then, he has been designing some great clothes for me. They are very comfortable and make me look great! Earlier, I needed help to get into certain clothes. Now, I can do it on my own,” says Pulkit.
Bhassin aims to go international with Paracare. He has some ambitious plans like designing exclusive clothing for para sportspersons for the Paralympics. He believes an exclusive adaptive clothing line is a great way to motivate disabled people.
Watch in Sign Language
- Disability groups fume over Supreme Court order on "reasonable sight, hearing, speech faculties" for judicial officer
January 24, 2019
- Paytm modifies app to make it accessible for blind, low vision users
January 24, 2019
- From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients
January 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events January 22, 2019 9th Hydrabad Fide Rating Chess Tournament for Visually Challenged, 2019
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Bengaluru NGOs show a large heart with donations for disabled, homeless people
- Events January 20, 2019 Cognitive Approach to Autism Management
- Get-hooked January 23, 2019 The Headway Foundation's annual Rendezvous promises some exciting announcements
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Early intervention in hearing impairments matters. Here's why
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Awareness to access, Cure SMA India speaks up for kids with spinal muscular atrophy
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Kangana threatens to destroy Karni Sena over objections to film
- Events January 19, 2019 Workshop on Secrets to Deal with ADHD Children
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Jadavpur University Professor sacked for sexist remarks
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility January 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News