Blind students to host Readers & Writers Day in Delhi
October 30, 2018
After a successful Readers and Writers Day in Mumbai to honor the contribution of scribes and readers, the Blind Graduates Forum of India (BGFI) is all set to host a similar event in Delhi, the first such in the Capital.
The BGFI is a nonprofit that works for the empowerment of visually impaired and blind people. Readers, writers or scribes are the people who voluntarily help visually impaired students take exams.
They do this by reading out the questions to the blind students and then writing down the answers dictated. Without their help, taking exams becomes a challenging affair, says Aparna Murthy, who is visually impaired.
My readers and writers are the people who brought me out from the darkness of ignorance towards the light of wisdom. They are the ones who were instrumental in making me walk on the path of knowledge. They empowered me to become a graduate and reach where I am today. -Aparna Murthy
The event in Delhi is to acknowledge this contribution. The event is on 3 November at the National Association for the Blind.
The special guest is Madhubala Sharma who works with Concentrix, as Senior Manager, Manager Learning & Development. Sharma has received several awards for her work in the field of inclusion.
Umang Mehdiratta, who works in a bank, feels such events offer an opportunity to honour the scribes. "For many blind students in remote areas, the option of getting readers and writers is still very limited. I feel they motivate and help boost the confidence of students and encourage them to pursue higher education and lead a better life. Honoring and felicitating the readers and writers is the least that we can do."
Since BGFI has a mentoring program for visually impaired students and young professionals, students can also enroll for that at the event.
For more information about the event and BGFI visit www.bgfi.in or call 9892145699.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Black Hole image creator is a media star
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News