Blind students to host Readers & Writers Day in Delhi
October 30, 2018
After a successful Readers and Writers Day in Mumbai to honor the contribution of scribes and readers, the Blind Graduates Forum of India (BGFI) is all set to host a similar event in Delhi, the first such in the Capital.
The BGFI is a nonprofit that works for the empowerment of visually impaired and blind people. Readers, writers or scribes are the people who voluntarily help visually impaired students take exams.
They do this by reading out the questions to the blind students and then writing down the answers dictated. Without their help, taking exams becomes a challenging affair, says Aparna Murthy, who is visually impaired.
My readers and writers are the people who brought me out from the darkness of ignorance towards the light of wisdom. They are the ones who were instrumental in making me walk on the path of knowledge. They empowered me to become a graduate and reach where I am today. -Aparna Murthy
The event in Delhi is to acknowledge this contribution. The event is on 3 November at the National Association for the Blind.
The special guest is Madhubala Sharma who works with Concentrix, as Senior Manager, Manager Learning & Development. Sharma has received several awards for her work in the field of inclusion.
Umang Mehdiratta, who works in a bank, feels such events offer an opportunity to honour the scribes. "For many blind students in remote areas, the option of getting readers and writers is still very limited. I feel they motivate and help boost the confidence of students and encourage them to pursue higher education and lead a better life. Honoring and felicitating the readers and writers is the least that we can do."
Since BGFI has a mentoring program for visually impaired students and young professionals, students can also enroll for that at the event.
For more information about the event and BGFI visit www.bgfi.in or call 9892145699.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Get-hooked June 13, 2019 Feeling body positive when you have a disability
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News