Indonesian plane crash - 189 people dead
October 30, 2018
An aircraft with 189 people crashed into the sea soon after take off from Java Island in Indonesia. The Lion Air flight lost contact with ground officials 13 minutes after takeoff.
The head of a local rescue agency said they were not sure of any survivors. "We don't know yet whether there are any survivors," said Muhmmad Syaugi. "We hope, we pray, but we cannot confirm. We are there already, our vessels, our helicopter is hovering above the waters, to assist. We are trying to dive down to find the wreck."
Twenty three government officials were on the plane. The aircraft was functioning properly. Debris thought to be from the plane, including aircraft seats, was found near an offshore refining facility. The head of Indonesia's transport safety committee said they would have to wait until the black boxes were recovered.
We are preparing to depart to the location. The plane is so modern, it transmits data from the plane, and that we will review too. But the most important is the blackbox. - Soerjanto Tjahjono, Transport Safety Committee, Indonesia
This is the second worst air disaster in Indonesia since 1997 when a Garuda Indonesia A300 crash in Medan killed 214 people in 1997.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 #AutismPower - Arun Prasad inspires young people with autism to live life independently
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News