Healthy eating is the USP at this breakfast outlet run by disabled Kolkata youth
If you are in Kolkata and looking for some healthy breakfast options on weekends, head to Sip N Bite, a newly launched outlet at 13 A Lake Road.
From takeaway boxes that you can eat on the go, to omelettes and sweet options like cookies, this outlet promises a sumptuous start to your day. In a city known for unique cafes, Sip N Bite stands out for two reasons - its healthy meal options and staffers, many of whom are people with intellectual disabilities.
Being foodies themselves, they bring to the table some solid culinary experience as they have been catering for nearly four years at corporate workshops and college events. The staff is made up of 12 disabled people, supported by a team of 5-7 others without disabilities.
The food served here is continental and it is healthy and gluten free. Everything from jams, jellies to sauces is made in-house. The USP of the outlet is NOT that many of the staff members have disabilities, but in the kind of food offered. We are promoting the idea of healthy eating. - Amrita Roychoudhary, Founder, Transcendent Knowledge Society
Sip N Bite is a collaboration between Transcendent Knowledge Society (TKS), an organization that works to empower people with disabilities and South Kolkata Parasmoni (SKP), a parents’ collective. The staff at Sip N Bite acquired their culinary skills at a vocational center started by SKP.
The idea of growing further into a breakfast outlet was born from a need felt to integrate people with disabilities socially, says Roychoudhary, who brings to the table 15 years of experience as a rehabilitation specialist. “I felt the need to work actively to integrate them socially, something that you cannot do sitting in a clinic.”
Chaitali Gami, secretary, SKP, and one of the founding members, says that going to the café is one of the bright spots in her 23-year-old daughter’s schedule.
“Shreya has Down syndrome and she loves to come to the outlet. All these children love to create and coming here reinforces their confidence. Their self-esteem is enhanced. When my daughter was diagnosed, the doctor said she would be a burden. Through such initiatives we want to show the world otherwise.”
The act of going out and mingling with everyone is helping to change that perception, believes Shambhunath Bannerjee, whose son Srutarshi has autism. The 25-year-old is a master in the art of making omelettes.
“People will realize that they are not defined by their disability,” says Banerjee. “He is so excited about being here and because he is so dedicated and sincere, he does his utmost to perform the tasks perfectly. ”
So, why don’t you take a break from the kitchen this weekend? Head to Sip N Bite, where you can sample Srutarshi’s omelettes. Timings 6.30 to 10.30 AM.
Watch in Sign Language
- First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
November 14, 2018
- Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
November 14, 2018
- Help your child with autism sleep better
November 14, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Cyclonic storm lashes coasts of Tamil Nadu, south Andhra
- Headlines November 8, 2018 Shah Rukh Khan's Zero sets record of most watched trailer
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Some activities for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Get-hooked November 9, 2018 India takes the fight against leprosy to people's doorsteps
- Get-hooked November 8, 2018 Some life lessons when you raise a child with Down syndrome
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Some pre-school activities to improve well-being of disabled children
- Parasports November 11, 2018 Want to stay active? Check out these sports for disabled people
- Technology November 13, 2018 Engineering student develops app called Myability that speaks out typed text
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 9, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018