Indian techies plunge to death taking selfie in famous US park
November 1, 2018
Vishnu Viswanath and Meenakshi Moorthy, the Indian couple who died after falling 800 feet in the Yosemite National Park in California, United States, were definitely taking a selfie before they died. The married couple from India were living in the US. The place where they were standing is a popular viewpoint. It does not have a railing to protect visitors from the ledge. The bodies were recovered after people saw a camera on a tripod at the spot.
The reports are that Meenakshi had set up the tripod by the ledge to take a selfie. High-powered binoculars were used to find them and airlift the bodies.
The couple who put up social media posts about their travel adventures had a blog called Holidays and HappilyEverAfters. Months before her death, Meenakshi warned in an Instagram post of the dangers of taking photographs on the edge of cliffs and on top of skyscrapers.
She posted a picture of herself at the Grand Canyon, saying,
A lot of us including yours truly is a fan of daredevilry attempts of standing at the edge of cliffs. But did you know that wind gusts can be fatal? Is our life worth one photo? - Meenakshi Moorthy
She also appeared in the selfie of another tourist couple at the same point, just minutes before she fell to her death.
A park spokesman made a statement saying, "We still do not know what caused them to fall. We're trying to understand what happened. We may never know, but from everything we see, this was a tragic fall."
The couple were software engineers, who got married in 2014. In a Facebook post, the the college where they studied, said it mourned their "accidental demise". "Our hearts go to the friends and family members of this lovely couple. May their souls rest in peace," the college said. The bodies have been cremated in the US as they were in no condition to be flown back to India.
Watch in Sign Language
- IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
April 21, 2019
- Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
April 21, 2019
- Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
April 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News