PM Modi unveils world’s tallest statue ever in Gujarat
November 1, 2018
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled a 82-metre and 600-foot tall statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on the occasion of his birth anniversary at Kevadiya in Gujarat.
Now, India can claim to have the world's tallest statue. This statue is even higher than the Statue of Liberty in the United States. Modi called this a tribute to the freedom fighter who was also India's first home minister.
Five other sites are also created next to the statue which include a walkway, ticket counter, food court, a four-lane approach highway and the Sresht Bharat Bhavan, which is a 52-room three star lodging for tourists.
At a speech on the occasion, Modi said that Patel's statue stands for the unity of India. He added that it would remind the world and future generations about the courage and capabilities of Patel's work towards bringing India together.
Congress party chief Rahul Gandhi shared his views on the gesture on Twitter.
Sardar Patel was a patriot, who fought for an independent, united & secular India. A man with a steely will, tempered by compassion, he was a Congressman to the core, who had no tolerance for bigotry or communalism. On his birth anniversary, I salute this great son of India. Ironic that a statue of Sardar Patel is being inaugurated, but every institution he helped build is being smashed. The systematic destruction of India's institutions is nothing short of treason- Rahul Gandhi, President, Indian National Congress
The statue was built by over 250 engineers and over 3,000 workers. It can withstand even 6.5 magnitude earthquakes and winds up to 130 kmph.
There was a lot of criticism by Twitter users on the huge amount of fund that was used for the same.
"Sardar Patel needs to be commemorated but really by a statue? Shouldn't the 3000 odd crores have been better spent setting up a world class institute to propagate values Patel stood for i.e. Democracy, Rule of Law & Institution Building, not just India but Asia," tweeted KC Singh.
Patel's statue was sculptured by Noida-based sculptor Ram Vanji Sutar who has over 8000 sculptures to his credit. This Padma Bhushan awardee is currently designing a 400 feet Shivaji statue and a 250 feet Ambedkar statue, both of which will be installed in Mumbai.
Watch in Sign Language
- IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
April 21, 2019
- Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
April 21, 2019
- Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
April 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News