PM Modi unveils world’s tallest statue ever in Gujarat
November 1, 2018
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled a 82-metre and 600-foot tall statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on the occasion of his birth anniversary at Kevadiya in Gujarat.
Now, India can claim to have the world's tallest statue. This statue is even higher than the Statue of Liberty in the United States. Modi called this a tribute to the freedom fighter who was also India's first home minister.
Five other sites are also created next to the statue which include a walkway, ticket counter, food court, a four-lane approach highway and the Sresht Bharat Bhavan, which is a 52-room three star lodging for tourists.
At a speech on the occasion, Modi said that Patel's statue stands for the unity of India. He added that it would remind the world and future generations about the courage and capabilities of Patel's work towards bringing India together.
Congress party chief Rahul Gandhi shared his views on the gesture on Twitter.
Sardar Patel was a patriot, who fought for an independent, united & secular India. A man with a steely will, tempered by compassion, he was a Congressman to the core, who had no tolerance for bigotry or communalism. On his birth anniversary, I salute this great son of India. Ironic that a statue of Sardar Patel is being inaugurated, but every institution he helped build is being smashed. The systematic destruction of India's institutions is nothing short of treason- Rahul Gandhi, President, Indian National Congress
The statue was built by over 250 engineers and over 3,000 workers. It can withstand even 6.5 magnitude earthquakes and winds up to 130 kmph.
There was a lot of criticism by Twitter users on the huge amount of fund that was used for the same.
"Sardar Patel needs to be commemorated but really by a statue? Shouldn't the 3000 odd crores have been better spent setting up a world class institute to propagate values Patel stood for i.e. Democracy, Rule of Law & Institution Building, not just India but Asia," tweeted KC Singh.
Patel's statue was sculptured by Noida-based sculptor Ram Vanji Sutar who has over 8000 sculptures to his credit. This Padma Bhushan awardee is currently designing a 400 feet Shivaji statue and a 250 feet Ambedkar statue, both of which will be installed in Mumbai.
Watch in Sign Language
- Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
June 18, 2019
- Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
June 18, 2019
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
June 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Seeking a friend or life partner? Register at this meet up
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Get-hooked June 13, 2019 Feeling body positive when you have a disability
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News