PM Modi unveils world’s tallest statue ever in Gujarat
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled a 82-metre and 600-foot tall statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on the occasion of his birth anniversary at Kevadiya in Gujarat.
Now, India can claim to have the world’s tallest statue. This statue is even higher than the Statue of Liberty in the United States. Modi called this a tribute to the freedom fighter who was also India’s first home minister.
Five other sites are also created next to the statue which include a walkway, ticket counter, food court, a four-lane approach highway and the Sresht Bharat Bhavan, which is a 52-room three star lodging for tourists.
At a speech on the occasion, Modi said that Patel’s statue stands for the unity of India. He added that it would remind the world and future generations about the courage and capabilities of Patel’s work towards bringing India together.
Congress party chief Rahul Gandhi shared his views on the gesture on Twitter.
Sardar Patel was a patriot, who fought for an independent, united & secular India. A man with a steely will, tempered by compassion, he was a Congressman to the core, who had no tolerance for bigotry or communalism. On his birth anniversary, I salute this great son of India. Ironic that a statue of Sardar Patel is being inaugurated, but every institution he helped build is being smashed. The systematic destruction of India's institutions is nothing short of treason- Rahul Gandhi, President, Indian National Congress
The statue was built by over 250 engineers and over 3,000 workers. It can withstand even 6.5 magnitude earthquakes and winds up to 130 kmph.
There was a lot of criticism by Twitter users on the huge amount of fund that was used for the same.
“Sardar Patel needs to be commemorated but really by a statue? Shouldn’t the 3000 odd crores have been better spent setting up a world class institute to propagate values Patel stood for i.e. Democracy, Rule of Law & Institution Building, not just India but Asia,” tweeted KC Singh.
Patel’s statue was sculptured by Noida-based sculptor Ram Vanji Sutar who has over 8000 sculptures to his credit. This Padma Bhushan awardee is currently designing a 400 feet Shivaji statue and a 250 feet Ambedkar statue, both of which will be installed in Mumbai.
Watch in Sign Language
- India Premier League season starts 23 March
February 20, 2019
- Army kills 3 JeM terrorists in Pulwama
February 20, 2019
- Two jets crash ahead of Bengaluru Aero India event, one pilot dies
February 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Jaish-e-Mohammed's key aide killed in Kashmir
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Accessibility February 19, 2019 Kerala government launches projects to empower visually impaired people
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines February 19, 2019
Headlines February 8, 2019
Headlines February 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019