RBI Governor Urjit Patel may resign
November 1, 2018
The Centre seems to be on loggerheads with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) chairman Urjit Patel with growing reports that the tension may lead Governor Patel to step down.
The tension within is evident from a tweet from former Union Minister P Chidambaram, who said,
If, as reported, Government has invoked Section 7 of the RBI Act and issued unprecedented 'directions' to the RBI, I am afraid there will be more bad news today. - P Chidambaram, Former Union Minister
Earlier, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had blamed the RBI for causing a loan crisis in the country by not taking the required actions and decisions to tackle the financial situation.
Jaitley also said that the RBI had continued with its bad lending procedures until 2014 despite the 2008 global financial crisis and that had caused an economic crisis in India. On the other hand, Deputy RBI Governor Viral Acharya has blamed the government for undue interference in the RBI's functioning.
Several proposals made by the RBI have been causing disagreement between the central bank and the government. Some of the conflicts have arisen due to proposals such as the setting up of a regulating agency for payment banks, restrictions on banks for giving loans and the handling of the bad loans by the RBI.
The stand taken by the government over the issue is being seen as a threat to the RBI. Some concerned citizens shared their views on social media.
Among them was Shanmuga Pillai @shanmugam_18, who said, "For the first time in the history of Independent India, the government has threatened the #RBI to invoke section 7 - under which the @RBI governor comes completely under the control of the Modi Govt."
Watch in Sign Language
- IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
April 21, 2019
- Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
April 21, 2019
- Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
April 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News