Delhi prepares for partial shutdown due to air pollution
November 2, 2018
Air pollution in Delhi is likely to become worse in the next 10 days and may force the city to partially shut down to contain pollution levels. Some of the steps authorities are looking at are a ban on construction activities and shutting down at least one industrial area for the next 10 days.
The Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority (EPCA) appointed by the Supreme Court has warned that it may even ban private vehicles or bring in odd-even vehicle restrictions in the days ahead.
These measures are pre-emptive and are being introduced keeping in mind the forecast and the need for emergency actions to combat pollution. - Bhure Lal, chairman, Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority (EPCA)
The Air Quality Index has crossed severe levels of air pollution on Tuesday. It got better and then came down to 'very poor' but this could go up due to bad weather conditions.
Some of the measures the EPCA is looking at putting in place until 10 November are:
- Shut down of Mundka industrial area.
- Ban on construction and digging.
- Shutting down of industries that run on coal and biomass.
- Ban on stone crushers, brick kilns and hot mix plants.
A ban on diesel generators is in place. The Badarpur power plant has been shut down since 15 October.
Authorities have also started Facebook and Twitter accounts where people can file complaints about garbage burning, unpaved roads etc. Holidays of of environment department officials stand cancelled.
Watch in Sign Language
- Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
June 18, 2019
- Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
June 18, 2019
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
June 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Accessibility June 11, 2019 A warrior in the cause of digital accessibility - My Take by Sai Bhagat
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Seeking a friend or life partner? Register at this meet up
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News