16 restaurants in Bengaluru sign the accessibility pledge under #RampMyCity campaign
In December 2017, Bengaluru-based entrepreneur Prateek Khandelwal kickstarted the #RampMyCity campaign on social media. His aim was to bring together restaurant owners in the city, their staffers and disabled people to highlight the importance of making restaurants accessible.
Now, over 16 restaurants across Bengaluru have become disabled-friendly, thanks to Khandelwal’s efforts.
This has Khandelwal over 10 months and the journey has been far from a cakewalk. Most restaurant owners were initially ignorant of the idea.
I have been in talks with restaurant owners for the past six months. Once we got the wheelchair ramps ready, my next job was to sensitize restaurant staff about inclusivity. So I launched the grooming session #IBreakTheBarrier where restaurant staffs are given a detailed insight on how to reach out to disabled customers. - Prateek Khandelwal, Founder, #RampMyCity
Farzi Cafe in UB City, Big Brewsky at Sarjapur Road, Ebony at MG Road, were among those who were the first to respond. Now, Social in Sarjapur Road, Church Street and Koramangala, Foxtrot in Koramangala, Byg Brewskii in Hennur and Sarjapur Road, are the newer ones to take the pledge. In most of these restaurants, washrooms have also been made accessible with wheelchair ramps.
Brijesh K Chandran, Operations Manager at Kaze, which is among the recent ones to sign up, has years of experience in hotel management and points out that all star hotels are now accessible.
“When it comes to restaurants, we miss out on accessibility features. When Prateek spoke about the idea, we were all in for it. After we installed wheelchair ramps, we had a lady customer on a wheelchair. She was extremely happy to see the features that we introduced. She was seated at the fine dining space which was also accessible”, says Chandran.
Next on Prateek's agenda is to make the common man’s eateries disabled-friendly. So far, he has been looking at the high end restaurants.
So, with a holiday weekend coming up, do check out these new facilities. And the weather is awesome too!
Watch in Sign Language
- This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
November 13, 2018
- I want to make a mobile app accessible to visually impaired! Really? - Guest column by Shilpi Kapoor, Founder, Barrier Break
November 12, 2018
- Actual number of disabled voters in Telangana missing from list, activists ask for special campaign
November 10, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 10, 2018 India & Taliban hold talks on non-official level in Moscow
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer want wedding guests to donate to charity
- Headlines November 7, 2018 Patanjali launches first clothing store
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Some pre-school activities to improve well-being of disabled children
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 "It was like the whole universe came together" - My Take by Ruma Roka, founder, Noida Deaf Society
- Accessibility November 12, 2018 I want to make a mobile app accessible to visually impaired! Really? - Guest column by Shilpi Kapoor, Founder, Barrier Break
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Sushmita Sen puts an end to marriage rumours on social media
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Help your child with autism sleep better
- Get-hooked November 7, 2018 Bengaluru’s inclusive school JDC Sparsha completes 23 successful years
- Get-hooked November 8, 2018 Miss Deaf Asia Nishtha Dudeja credits her win to a fighting spirit, a Newz Hook exclusive
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018