16 restaurants in Bengaluru sign the accessibility pledge under #RampMyCity campaign
In December 2017, Bengaluru-based entrepreneur Prateek Khandelwal kickstarted the #RampMyCity campaign on social media. His aim was to bring together restaurant owners in the city, their staffers and disabled people to highlight the importance of making restaurants accessible.
Now, over 16 restaurants across Bengaluru have become disabled-friendly, thanks to Khandelwal’s efforts.
This has Khandelwal over 10 months and the journey has been far from a cakewalk. Most restaurant owners were initially ignorant of the idea.
I have been in talks with restaurant owners for the past six months. Once we got the wheelchair ramps ready, my next job was to sensitize restaurant staff about inclusivity. So I launched the grooming session #IBreakTheBarrier where restaurant staffs are given a detailed insight on how to reach out to disabled customers. - Prateek Khandelwal, Founder, #RampMyCity
Farzi Cafe in UB City, Big Brewsky at Sarjapur Road, Ebony at MG Road, were among those who were the first to respond. Now, Social in Sarjapur Road, Church Street and Koramangala, Foxtrot in Koramangala, Byg Brewskii in Hennur and Sarjapur Road, are the newer ones to take the pledge. In most of these restaurants, washrooms have also been made accessible with wheelchair ramps.
Brijesh K Chandran, Operations Manager at Kaze, which is among the recent ones to sign up, has years of experience in hotel management and points out that all star hotels are now accessible.
“When it comes to restaurants, we miss out on accessibility features. When Prateek spoke about the idea, we were all in for it. After we installed wheelchair ramps, we had a lady customer on a wheelchair. She was extremely happy to see the features that we introduced. She was seated at the fine dining space which was also accessible”, says Chandran.
Next on Prateek's agenda is to make the common man’s eateries disabled-friendly. So far, he has been looking at the high end restaurants.
So, with a holiday weekend coming up, do check out these new facilities. And the weather is awesome too!
Watch in Sign Language
- Disability groups fume over Supreme Court order on "reasonable sight, hearing, speech faculties" for judicial officer
January 24, 2019
- Paytm modifies app to make it accessible for blind, low vision users
January 24, 2019
- From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients
January 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Changing lives of disabled people for the better, the Swabhiman way
- Events January 20, 2019 Trinayani's 18th Inclusive Monthly Meetup
- Accessibility January 18, 2019 Goa Carnival 2019 promises to be wheelchair accessible
- Get-hooked January 20, 2019 Understanding Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Amputee Mayur Dumasia's 5-state cycling expedition is an inspiration to all
- Parasports January 17, 2019 Kerala government move to hold marathon with disabled category welcomed
- Get-hooked January 23, 2019 The Headway Foundation's annual Rendezvous promises some exciting announcements
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Navy divers find second body in Meghalaya mine
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Uri: The Surgical Strike is 2019's 1st hit
- Events January 20, 2019 Parent Workshop on Toilet Training
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News