16 restaurants in Bengaluru sign the accessibility pledge under #RampMyCity campaign
November 2, 2018
In December 2017, Bengaluru-based entrepreneur Prateek Khandelwal kickstarted the #RampMyCity campaign on social media. His aim was to bring together restaurant owners in the city, their staffers and disabled people to highlight the importance of making restaurants accessible.
Now, over 16 restaurants across Bengaluru have become disabled-friendly, thanks to Khandelwal's efforts.
This has Khandelwal over 10 months and the journey has been far from a cakewalk. Most restaurant owners were initially ignorant of the idea.
I have been in talks with restaurant owners for the past six months. Once we got the wheelchair ramps ready, my next job was to sensitize restaurant staff about inclusivity. So I launched the grooming session #IBreakTheBarrier where restaurant staffs are given a detailed insight on how to reach out to disabled customers. - Prateek Khandelwal, Founder, #RampMyCity
Farzi Cafe in UB City, Big Brewsky at Sarjapur Road, Ebony at MG Road, were among those who were the first to respond. Now, Social in Sarjapur Road, Church Street and Koramangala, Foxtrot in Koramangala, Byg Brewskii in Hennur and Sarjapur Road, are the newer ones to take the pledge. In most of these restaurants, washrooms have also been made accessible with wheelchair ramps.
Brijesh K Chandran, Operations Manager at Kaze, which is among the recent ones to sign up, has years of experience in hotel management and points out that all star hotels are now accessible.
"When it comes to restaurants, we miss out on accessibility features. When Prateek spoke about the idea, we were all in for it. After we installed wheelchair ramps, we had a lady customer on a wheelchair. She was extremely happy to see the features that we introduced. She was seated at the fine dining space which was also accessible", says Chandran.
Next on Prateek's agenda is to make the common man's eateries disabled-friendly. So far, he has been looking at the high end restaurants.
So, with a holiday weekend coming up, do check out these new facilities. And the weather is awesome too!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 16, 2019 Violence in West Bengal over vandalising of iconic statue
- Headlines May 14, 2019 Regret allowing son to fight elections, says Dharmendra
- Headlines May 18, 2019 PM says Congress expects to perform badly
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Indian actors shine at Cannes festival 2019
- Events May 14, 2019 Workshop: Enhancing Outcomes in Inclusive Education for Special Educational Needs
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 These friends banded together in the aftermath of the Kerala floods to help people with disabilities
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
- Headlines May 15, 2019 No chance of a Third Front says DMK leader Stalin
- Events May 15, 2019 Summer camp
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News