5 killed in terror attack in Assam
In a shocking incident, five people were shot at gun point at by United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA) terrorists at Tinsukia in Assam. The incident happened on Thursday evening at around 8.55 pm at near the Dhola Sadiya Bridge. Even though initial reports state that the attackers are from ULFA’S Paresh Baruah, the group has denied any connection to the attack.
The victims were identified as Abhinash Biswas, Ananta Biswas, Subal Biswas, Shyamlal Biswas and Dhananjay Namsudra. All of them are believed to be Bengalis. Recently, there have been issues between Bengalis and Assamese regarding Bengali organizations supporting the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
The victims were randomly picked by the terrorist from their village before shooting. Bengali organizations are up in arms against the injustice done to their men. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee said that her party Trinamool Congress will do all that they can to bring culprits to the limelight. 12 hour bandh was observed at Tinsukia district where the incident happened.
The Indian army has already started a massive search for the terrorists at the Assam-Arunachal Pradesh border. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh condemned the incident.
Deeply anguished by civilian casualties in an attack in Upper Assam region. It is a reprehensible act of mindless violence. Spoke to Assam CM Shri @sarbanandsonwal regarding the incident and asked him to take strict possible action against the perpetrators of this heinous crime- Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
Social media users also expressed their shock and anger at the loss of lives of innocent men.
“Highly condemnable act as 5 innocent people were killed in indiscriminate firing in #Tinsukia by #ULFA terrorist. As already committed by CM of Assam @sarbanandsonwal ji, that perpetrators of this heinous crime won't be spared. We stand with the families in this grief”, tweeted Arvind Menon, Twitter User.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 9, 2019 Some recreational activities for visually impaired people
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Headlines February 11, 2019 ‘Gully Boy’ screened at Berlin Film Festival, gets positive reviews
- Events February 9, 2019 Animal Assisted Therapy for Mental Well-being!
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Mammootty watches latest film 'Peranbu' with disabled kids at Kochi theatre
- Headlines February 9, 2019 Rohit Sharma becomes 1st Indian to hit 100 sixes
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines February 5, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News