5 killed in terror attack in Assam
November 3, 2018
In a shocking incident, five people were shot at gun point at by United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA) terrorists at Tinsukia in Assam. The incident happened on Thursday evening at around 8.55 pm at near the Dhola Sadiya Bridge. Even though initial reports state that the attackers are from ULFA'S Paresh Baruah, the group has denied any connection to the attack.
The victims were identified as Abhinash Biswas, Ananta Biswas, Subal Biswas, Shyamlal Biswas and Dhananjay Namsudra. All of them are believed to be Bengalis. Recently, there have been issues between Bengalis and Assamese regarding Bengali organizations supporting the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
The victims were randomly picked by the terrorist from their village before shooting. Bengali organizations are up in arms against the injustice done to their men. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee said that her party Trinamool Congress will do all that they can to bring culprits to the limelight. 12 hour bandh was observed at Tinsukia district where the incident happened.
The Indian army has already started a massive search for the terrorists at the Assam-Arunachal Pradesh border. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh condemned the incident.
Deeply anguished by civilian casualties in an attack in Upper Assam region. It is a reprehensible act of mindless violence. Spoke to Assam CM Shri @sarbanandsonwal regarding the incident and asked him to take strict possible action against the perpetrators of this heinous crime- Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
Social media users also expressed their shock and anger at the loss of lives of innocent men.
"Highly condemnable act as 5 innocent people were killed in indiscriminate firing in #Tinsukia by #ULFA terrorist. As already committed by CM of Assam @sarbanandsonwal ji, that perpetrators of this heinous crime won't be spared. We stand with the families in this grief", tweeted Arvind Menon, Twitter User.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News