Tigress Avni shot dead at Yavatmal in Maharashtra
Tigress Avni, who was categorised under T1, was killed on Friday. According to reports, she had killed over 13 people in the past two years at Yavatmal in Maharashtra. In September, the Supreme Court of India had given order for the tigress to be shot at sight. This had created a lot of fury among animal activists, and a lot of protests were done in different parts of India. Over 50,000 people had signed online petitions asking the Supreme Court to withdraw the order to kill Avni. But the forest department was stern on the tigress being killed.
Over the past few months, officials were on a hunt to find Avni. Trap cameras, drones, sniffer dogs and hang gliders were used to find her. The forest department had deployed over 100 people to ensure that Avni does not enter the village. Avni was shot by Hyderabad based sharp shooter Nawab Shafath Ali Khan’s son Asgarh around 11 pm on Friday.
Social media users condemned the killing of Avni.
Sad Day.China has reversed Ban on Tiger/Rhino products for medicinal uses.While on home ground Despite all efforts,#Avni has been shot dead by the hunters, a leopard killed in Hit in run in Virar,Idiocy Reigns.Losing battle for our wildlife in Man Politics and Animal conflict- Raveena Tandon, Bollywood actor
Bombay High Court's Nagpur Bench admitted a petition that asked to not kill Avni. Instead, she was supposed to be tranquilised and released in a national park. In spite of that, the tigress was killed by officials.
“Feeling so angry and helpless! In spite of the nation pleading and protesting...how could they kill instead of tranquilizing? #Avni.. may you rest in peace. Over to karma...it'll do its thing”, tweeted Sonia Chopra
Six year old Avni was also the mother of two cubs. Her post mortem was conducted at Nagpur’s Gorewada Rescue Centre.
Watch in Sign Language
- School, colleges shut in parts of Tamil Nadu ahead of Cyclone Gaja
November 16, 2018
- After Trump declined invite, South African President to be Republic Day chief guest
November 16, 2018
- Deepika & Ranveer’s wedding pictures released
November 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 10, 2018 Abhaya Care Foundation lends a helping hand to children with disabilities
- Accessibility November 13, 2018 This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
- Parasports November 9, 2018 First ever Blind Volley Ball Tournament to be held in Karnataka
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 The Executive Age of children with ADHD, find out more
- Events November 15, 2018 Convention Against Sexual Assaults on Women with Disabilities
- Education November 14, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
- Accessibility November 12, 2018 I want to make a mobile app accessible to visually impaired! Really? - Guest column by Shilpi Kapoor, Founder, Barrier Break
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Inclusive trek near Bengaluru brings visually impaired & sighted people together
- Headlines November 9, 2018 Virat Kohli apologises after getting trolled for 'Leave India' comment to fan
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Actor Akshay Kumar says he never met self-styled god man Ram Rahim
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News