Tigress Avni shot dead at Yavatmal in Maharashtra
November 4, 2018
Tigress Avni, who was categorised under T1, was killed on Friday. According to reports, she had killed over 13 people in the past two years at Yavatmal in Maharashtra. In September, the Supreme Court of India had given order for the tigress to be shot at sight. This had created a lot of fury among animal activists, and a lot of protests were done in different parts of India. Over 50,000 people had signed online petitions asking the Supreme Court to withdraw the order to kill Avni. But the forest department was stern on the tigress being killed.
Over the past few months, officials were on a hunt to find Avni. Trap cameras, drones, sniffer dogs and hang gliders were used to find her. The forest department had deployed over 100 people to ensure that Avni does not enter the village. Avni was shot by Hyderabad based sharp shooter Nawab Shafath Ali Khan's son Asgarh around 11 pm on Friday.
Social media users condemned the killing of Avni.
Sad Day.China has reversed Ban on Tiger/Rhino products for medicinal uses.While on home ground Despite all efforts,#Avni has been shot dead by the hunters, a leopard killed in Hit in run in Virar,Idiocy Reigns.Losing battle for our wildlife in Man Politics and Animal conflict- Raveena Tandon, Bollywood actor
Bombay High Court's Nagpur Bench admitted a petition that asked to not kill Avni. Instead, she was supposed to be tranquilised and released in a national park. In spite of that, the tigress was killed by officials.
"Feeling so angry and helpless! In spite of the nation pleading and protesting...how could they kill instead of tranquilizing? #Avni.. may you rest in peace. Over to karma...it'll do its thing", tweeted Sonia Chopra
Six year old Avni was also the mother of two cubs. Her post mortem was conducted at Nagpur's Gorewada Rescue Centre.
Watch in Sign Language
- Smriti Irani’s supporter shot dead in Amethi
May 27, 2019
- PM Modi to be sworn in on 30 May
May 27, 2019
- Hundreds left homeless in Tripura after heavy rains
May 27, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Vivek Oberoi deletes offensive tweet about Aishwarya, apologises
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Urmi Foundation helps disabled kids from poor communities get access to education
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 'Follow your heart, not your brain to find success' - Guest column by Neelu Jindal
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
- Accessibility May 26, 2019 'Have a right to be out & about', says Sindhu, only wheelchair user to attend Kerala's Attukal Pongala festival
- Get-hooked May 26, 2019 Children with autism more prone to sleep problems, says focused study
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 Sports has many benefits for amputees, so go for it, say experts
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Accessible Elections in India & lessons for the future
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Hi-tech hearing implants must be followed by rehab programmes say experts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News