India to play first T20 match against West Indies today
Rohit Sharma will captain the Indian side in the first of the three-match Twenty20 Internationals against West Indies to be played at Eden Gardens in Kolkata today.
India has won the Test and ODI series, but West Indies, who are defending champions in the Twenty20 series are a tough force in this format.
Virat Kohli will not be leading the team and former captain M S Dhoni has been dropped from the team. Rishabh Pant has been given wicketkeeping duties for India ahead of the experienced Dinesh Karthik.
Speaking to the media, Sharma said that Dhoni's absence would give other players the opportunity to prove themselves.
Dhoni has been such a massive player for us, over the years. His experience in the middle will be missed but again Rishabh (Pant) and Dinesh (Karthik) have great opportunity to come and perform and show what they are capable of as well. It gives them an opportunity to express themselves - Rohit Sharma, India captain T20i
Krunal Pandya might also get to make his debut in Kolkata, but that will depend on whether or not India go in with five specialist bowlers. If India decide to leave either Kuldeep or Chahal out or go in with the two pacers instead of three, then Pandya could be in with a chance of making his T20I debut for India.
"These are the few names who have come and we got to see them what they have in their armoury for us to make the best possible squad in the World Cup,” said Sharma.
Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan are set to open for India.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Amputee Mayur Dumasia's 5-state cycling expedition is an inspiration to all
- Events January 19, 2019 Workshop on Secrets to Deal with ADHD Children
- Parasports January 17, 2019 Kerala government move to hold marathon with disabled category welcomed
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Navy divers find second body in Meghalaya mine
- Parasports January 24, 2019 Over 200 chess players sign up for annual tournament in Hyderabad
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Uri: The Surgical Strike is 2019's 1st hit
- Get-hooked January 20, 2019 Understanding Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Events January 20, 2019 Deaf Awareness India- Guests Lecture
- Headlines January 24, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi joins politics, gets key role
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Jadavpur University Professor sacked for sexist remarks
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News