India to play first T20 match against West Indies today
November 4, 2018
Rohit Sharma will captain the Indian side in the first of the three-match Twenty20 Internationals against West Indies to be played at Eden Gardens in Kolkata today.
India has won the Test and ODI series, but West Indies, who are defending champions in the Twenty20 series are a tough force in this format.
Virat Kohli will not be leading the team and former captain M S Dhoni has been dropped from the team. Rishabh Pant has been given wicketkeeping duties for India ahead of the experienced Dinesh Karthik.
Speaking to the media, Sharma said that Dhoni's absence would give other players the opportunity to prove themselves.
Dhoni has been such a massive player for us, over the years. His experience in the middle will be missed but again Rishabh (Pant) and Dinesh (Karthik) have great opportunity to come and perform and show what they are capable of as well. It gives them an opportunity to express themselves - Rohit Sharma, India captain T20i
Krunal Pandya might also get to make his debut in Kolkata, but that will depend on whether or not India go in with five specialist bowlers. If India decide to leave either Kuldeep or Chahal out or go in with the two pacers instead of three, then Pandya could be in with a chance of making his T20I debut for India.
"These are the few names who have come and we got to see them what they have in their armoury for us to make the best possible squad in the World Cup," said Sharma.
Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan are set to open for India.
Watch in Sign Language
- Smriti Irani’s supporter shot dead in Amethi
May 27, 2019
- PM Modi to be sworn in on 30 May
May 27, 2019
- Hundreds left homeless in Tripura after heavy rains
May 27, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports May 20, 2019 Passion for sports keeps Amresh's spirits up through the worst of times
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Accessibility May 26, 2019 'Have a right to be out & about', says Sindhu, only wheelchair user to attend Kerala's Attukal Pongala festival
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Events May 26, 2019 31st International Conference on Cancer Research and therapy
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 An exclusive anthem for children with hearing disabilities aims to spread awareness
- Accessibility May 21, 2019 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Get-hooked May 26, 2019 Understanding Phantom Limb Pain
- Headlines May 27, 2019 Smriti Irani’s supporter shot dead in Amethi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News