21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Autism Spectrum Disorder
November 10, 2018
As part of our series about the 21 disabilities that are covered under the RPWD ACT 2016, today we will talk about Autism Spectrum Disorder- ASD.
What is Autism Spectrum Disorder
A developmental disorder, it affects communication skills and social behaviour. People with ASD may have other related disorders that affect various aspects of their lives. Every person with ASD may exhibit different symptoms and levels of severity.Millions of children across the world are affected by ASD and face challenges throughout their lives.
Diagnoses and symptoms.
The symptoms of Autism spectrum disorder can appear at a very early age. Here are some common signs.
- Body language is different from others such as avoiding eye contact or lack of appropriate expressions.
- Not being interested in other people.
- Not being interested in sharing activities or interests with others.
- Unable to communicate with others by initiating conversations. Seeming isolated and aloof.
- Lack of understanding about emotions and feelings of other people.
- Showing aversion to being touched.
- Difficulty in making friends with people of the same age groups\
- Repetitive behavior
Apart from the above, there can be a variety of other behaviors shown by people with ASD. There is no one standard test that can be used for the diagnoses of ASD. The use of multiple evaluations and tests may be necessary to identify the disorders.
Children with ASD are often misunderstood and not treated fairly by teachers, peers and society. Creating awareness and talking about the symptoms can help people understand the needs of children with ASD.- Caroline Jega, parent of child with autism & SCAN member
Types of Autism spectrum disorder
Here are some most common types of ASD
- Asperger's syndrome
- Pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS)
Cure for Autism spectrum disorder
There is no cure for ASD, however, behavior and communication treatments can be sued to manage the symptoms. Various therapy and training methods can also help the children overcome communication barriers.
Creating awareness about autism and other disabilities among students is crucial for acceptance. Information will help other kids to understand the children with disabilities and create inclusive classrooms. Sneha Reddy, parent
- Asperger's syndrome
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 20, 2019 Musical Puppet play- The Learning Factory
- Accessibility March 19, 2019 Rising Star Tours & Travels is helping visually impaired people experience the magic of new places
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Discriminatory medical admission guidelines regarding disabled aspirants crush this Ranchi doctor's dream
- Events March 20, 2019 1st ODI National Zone Cricket Championship for Deaf
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Anil Ambani pays dues, avoids jail term
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 Parenting corner- Managing stress
- Events March 19, 2019 BGFI's session on STEM study - An Inclusive Avenue for the Blind
- Headlines March 15, 2019 U.S warns China for blocking action on terrorist Masood Azhar
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
- Headlines March 15, 2019 Boeing 737 MAX 8 banned by several countries after 2nd crash in 5 months
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News