21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Autism Spectrum Disorder
November 10, 2018
As part of our series about the 21 disabilities that are covered under the RPWD ACT 2016, today we will talk about Autism Spectrum Disorder- ASD.
What is Autism Spectrum Disorder
A developmental disorder, it affects communication skills and social behaviour. People with ASD may have other related disorders that affect various aspects of their lives. Every person with ASD may exhibit different symptoms and levels of severity.Millions of children across the world are affected by ASD and face challenges throughout their lives.
Diagnoses and symptoms.
The symptoms of Autism spectrum disorder can appear at a very early age. Here are some common signs.
- Body language is different from others such as avoiding eye contact or lack of appropriate expressions.
- Not being interested in other people.
- Not being interested in sharing activities or interests with others.
- Unable to communicate with others by initiating conversations. Seeming isolated and aloof.
- Lack of understanding about emotions and feelings of other people.
- Showing aversion to being touched.
- Difficulty in making friends with people of the same age groups\
- Repetitive behavior
Apart from the above, there can be a variety of other behaviors shown by people with ASD. There is no one standard test that can be used for the diagnoses of ASD. The use of multiple evaluations and tests may be necessary to identify the disorders.
Children with ASD are often misunderstood and not treated fairly by teachers, peers and society. Creating awareness and talking about the symptoms can help people understand the needs of children with ASD.- Caroline Jega, parent of child with autism & SCAN member
Types of Autism spectrum disorder
Here are some most common types of ASD
- Asperger's syndrome
- Pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS)
Cure for Autism spectrum disorder
There is no cure for ASD, however, behavior and communication treatments can be sued to manage the symptoms. Various therapy and training methods can also help the children overcome communication barriers.
Creating awareness about autism and other disabilities among students is crucial for acceptance. Information will help other kids to understand the children with disabilities and create inclusive classrooms. Sneha Reddy, parent
- Asperger's syndrome
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
- Accessibility May 21, 2019 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Exit polls predict comfortable win for BJP
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - Behind swimming champ Ankita Anvikar's success story is mom Anjali
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 These friends banded together in the aftermath of the Kerala floods to help people with disabilities
- Accessibility May 17, 2019 Anuprayaas is making railway stations inclusive & accessible for visually impaired people
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya apologizes for Godse comments
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Stay cool this summer, some tips for wheelchair users
- Education May 23, 2019 Hyderabad schools strictly warned not to deny admission to children with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News