21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Autism Spectrum Disorder
November 10, 2018
As part of our series about the 21 disabilities that are covered under the RPWD ACT 2016, today we will talk about Autism Spectrum Disorder- ASD.
What is Autism Spectrum Disorder
A developmental disorder, it affects communication skills and social behaviour. People with ASD may have other related disorders that affect various aspects of their lives. Every person with ASD may exhibit different symptoms and levels of severity.Millions of children across the world are affected by ASD and face challenges throughout their lives.
Diagnoses and symptoms.
The symptoms of Autism spectrum disorder can appear at a very early age. Here are some common signs.
- Body language is different from others such as avoiding eye contact or lack of appropriate expressions.
- Not being interested in other people.
- Not being interested in sharing activities or interests with others.
- Unable to communicate with others by initiating conversations. Seeming isolated and aloof.
- Lack of understanding about emotions and feelings of other people.
- Showing aversion to being touched.
- Difficulty in making friends with people of the same age groups\
- Repetitive behavior
Apart from the above, there can be a variety of other behaviors shown by people with ASD. There is no one standard test that can be used for the diagnoses of ASD. The use of multiple evaluations and tests may be necessary to identify the disorders.
Children with ASD are often misunderstood and not treated fairly by teachers, peers and society. Creating awareness and talking about the symptoms can help people understand the needs of children with ASD.- Caroline Jega, parent of child with autism & SCAN member
Types of Autism spectrum disorder
Here are some most common types of ASD
- Asperger's syndrome
- Pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS)
Cure for Autism spectrum disorder
There is no cure for ASD, however, behavior and communication treatments can be sued to manage the symptoms. Various therapy and training methods can also help the children overcome communication barriers.
Creating awareness about autism and other disabilities among students is crucial for acceptance. Information will help other kids to understand the children with disabilities and create inclusive classrooms. Sneha Reddy, parent
- Asperger's syndrome
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
August 21, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Events August 22, 2019 Ganesha Making Workshop
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
- Headlines August 22, 2019 BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
- Parasports August 16, 2019 Victorious India Divyang Cricket Team to land in Mumbai tomorrow
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
- Lifestyle August 22, 2019 Kurtas for men - Feast your eyes on some amazing designs
- Events August 21, 2019 GO PLAY - A Parent Education Program
- Accessibility August 19, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-Hooked August 20, 2019
Get-Hooked August 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News