Tigress beaten to death & run over by villagers in Uttar Pradesh
November 6, 2018
After the shooting of the tigress Avni in Maharashtra last week, comes another report of a tigress who has been beaten to death and run over in a village in Uttar Pradesh on Sunday.
This happened after the tigress attacked a man who later died in hospital. After the attack, angry villagers near the Dudhwa tiger reserve around 200 km from Lucknow, entered the reserve, beat up forest guards, snatched a tractor and then ran over the 10-year-old tigress when they found her. They also hit the animal with heavy sticks.
The 50-year-old man was mauled as he was going to his village, crisscrossing the jungle. Then some anti-social elements got together and beat the tigress to death. We have identified those responsible and we are going to file an FIR against them and get them arrested. - Mahavir Kojilangi, Director, Dudhwa National Park
The villagers stay within the buffer zone of the protected tiger reserve. Officials say the tigress has never attacked people in the last 10 years. Action will be taken against the villagers who killed the protected animal.
Villagers claim the animal had been attacking their livestock for a few weeks and were scared. They also said they ahd complained to officials about this many times. The killing of a second tigress in less than a week has renewed debates about how effective conservation efforts in India really are.
Actor Randeep Hooda tweeted a photo of the tigress killed by the villagers and said, "Another #Tiger #NationalPride mercilessly killed by villagers with a tractor seized from @UpforestUp officials in #Chaltua #Mailani #KishanpurTigerSanctuary #UttarPradesh she injured a man when he ventured into the jungle. We need a special team for ever rising #ManAnimalConflict. "
Congress president Rahul Gandhi also tweeted a message on animal rights, spoken by Mahatma Gandhi. "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
Watch in Sign Language
- Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
August 22, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Narendra Modi speaks to Donald Trump
- Parasports August 15, 2019 Sekhar Goud is India's first triple amputee to scale Mount Elburus in Russia twice
- Technology August 22, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Prashant Gade wins Universal Design Award 2019 for Inali Arm
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
- Get-Hooked August 21, 2019 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
- Headlines August 22, 2019 BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 "Love can be limitless if people recognise, accept and celebrate a person with a difference" - Jasmina Khanna
- Events August 21, 2019 GO PLAY - A Parent Education Program
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News