Tigress beaten to death & run over by villagers in Uttar Pradesh
November 6, 2018
After the shooting of the tigress Avni in Maharashtra last week, comes another report of a tigress who has been beaten to death and run over in a village in Uttar Pradesh on Sunday.
This happened after the tigress attacked a man who later died in hospital. After the attack, angry villagers near the Dudhwa tiger reserve around 200 km from Lucknow, entered the reserve, beat up forest guards, snatched a tractor and then ran over the 10-year-old tigress when they found her. They also hit the animal with heavy sticks.
The 50-year-old man was mauled as he was going to his village, crisscrossing the jungle. Then some anti-social elements got together and beat the tigress to death. We have identified those responsible and we are going to file an FIR against them and get them arrested. - Mahavir Kojilangi, Director, Dudhwa National Park
The villagers stay within the buffer zone of the protected tiger reserve. Officials say the tigress has never attacked people in the last 10 years. Action will be taken against the villagers who killed the protected animal.
Villagers claim the animal had been attacking their livestock for a few weeks and were scared. They also said they ahd complained to officials about this many times. The killing of a second tigress in less than a week has renewed debates about how effective conservation efforts in India really are.
Actor Randeep Hooda tweeted a photo of the tigress killed by the villagers and said, "Another #Tiger #NationalPride mercilessly killed by villagers with a tractor seized from @UpforestUp officials in #Chaltua #Mailani #KishanpurTigerSanctuary #UttarPradesh she injured a man when he ventured into the jungle. We need a special team for ever rising #ManAnimalConflict. "
Congress president Rahul Gandhi also tweeted a message on animal rights, spoken by Mahatma Gandhi. "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
Watch in Sign Language
- Jet Airways pilots’ refuse to fly if salaries not cleared by 31 March
March 23, 2019
- Congress leader Sam Pitroda questions airstrike in Balakot
March 23, 2019
- At least 47 killed, over 600 injured in explosion in China
March 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 How a Facebook page helped rally a support group for wheelchair users in Kerala
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Awareness about accessible election facilities still an issue in Arunachal Pradesh
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
- Events March 20, 2019 Musical Puppet play- The Learning Factory
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Mayawati will not contest 2019 general elections
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Kerala youngster Vijesh Vijayan wins battle for justice in Kerala High Court
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Parikkar given state funeral with military honours
- Parasports March 20, 2019 India on a roll at the 2019 Special Olympics World Games
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines March 16, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News