Tigress beaten to death & run over by villagers in Uttar Pradesh
November 6, 2018
After the shooting of the tigress Avni in Maharashtra last week, comes another report of a tigress who has been beaten to death and run over in a village in Uttar Pradesh on Sunday.
This happened after the tigress attacked a man who later died in hospital. After the attack, angry villagers near the Dudhwa tiger reserve around 200 km from Lucknow, entered the reserve, beat up forest guards, snatched a tractor and then ran over the 10-year-old tigress when they found her. They also hit the animal with heavy sticks.
The 50-year-old man was mauled as he was going to his village, crisscrossing the jungle. Then some anti-social elements got together and beat the tigress to death. We have identified those responsible and we are going to file an FIR against them and get them arrested. - Mahavir Kojilangi, Director, Dudhwa National Park
The villagers stay within the buffer zone of the protected tiger reserve. Officials say the tigress has never attacked people in the last 10 years. Action will be taken against the villagers who killed the protected animal.
Villagers claim the animal had been attacking their livestock for a few weeks and were scared. They also said they ahd complained to officials about this many times. The killing of a second tigress in less than a week has renewed debates about how effective conservation efforts in India really are.
Actor Randeep Hooda tweeted a photo of the tigress killed by the villagers and said, "Another #Tiger #NationalPride mercilessly killed by villagers with a tractor seized from @UpforestUp officials in #Chaltua #Mailani #KishanpurTigerSanctuary #UttarPradesh she injured a man when he ventured into the jungle. We need a special team for ever rising #ManAnimalConflict. "
Congress president Rahul Gandhi also tweeted a message on animal rights, spoken by Mahatma Gandhi. "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
Watch in Sign Language
- Smriti Irani’s supporter shot dead in Amethi
May 27, 2019
- PM Modi to be sworn in on 30 May
May 27, 2019
- Hundreds left homeless in Tripura after heavy rains
May 27, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Clean chit for Mulayam Singh & son in corruption case
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
- Accessibility May 20, 2019 Goa election officials, NGOs come together to conduct accessibility audit of polling booths
- Accessibility May 21, 2019 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Disability rights activist Prajith Jaipal to hit the road to promote awareness
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 Music knows no boundaries so why barriers at concert venues, ask disabled music lovers
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
- Headlines May 26, 2019 PM Modi biopic earns 3 crore
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News