Tigress beaten to death & run over by villagers in Uttar Pradesh
After the shooting of the tigress Avni in Maharashtra last week, comes another report of a tigress who has been beaten to death and run over in a village in Uttar Pradesh on Sunday.
This happened after the tigress attacked a man who later died in hospital. After the attack, angry villagers near the Dudhwa tiger reserve around 200 km from Lucknow, entered the reserve, beat up forest guards, snatched a tractor and then ran over the 10-year-old tigress when they found her. They also hit the animal with heavy sticks.
The 50-year-old man was mauled as he was going to his village, crisscrossing the jungle. Then some anti-social elements got together and beat the tigress to death. We have identified those responsible and we are going to file an FIR against them and get them arrested. - Mahavir Kojilangi, Director, Dudhwa National Park
The villagers stay within the buffer zone of the protected tiger reserve. Officials say the tigress has never attacked people in the last 10 years. Action will be taken against the villagers who killed the protected animal.
Villagers claim the animal had been attacking their livestock for a few weeks and were scared. They also said they ahd complained to officials about this many times. The killing of a second tigress in less than a week has renewed debates about how effective conservation efforts in India really are.
Actor Randeep Hooda tweeted a photo of the tigress killed by the villagers and said, "Another #Tiger #NationalPride mercilessly killed by villagers with a tractor seized from @UpforestUp officials in #Chaltua #Mailani #KishanpurTigerSanctuary #UttarPradesh she injured a man when he ventured into the jungle. We need a special team for ever rising #ManAnimalConflict. "
Congress president Rahul Gandhi also tweeted a message on animal rights, spoken by Mahatma Gandhi. "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology January 23, 2019 Inspiration is just a phone call away thanks to EnAble Vaani
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Find a life partner at this disability matrimonial event
- Parasports January 20, 2019 Samarthanam Trust, Pinkathon to.organize ultra-marathon for visually impaired people
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Accessibility January 24, 2019 Paytm modifies app to make it accessible for blind, low vision users
- Parasports January 22, 2019 “My blade are my wings to fly”- My Take by Sajesh Krishnan, Kerala’s first blade runner
- Events January 24, 2019 Anand Mitra Mandal for Deaf 42nd Anniversary
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Dhoni becomes 4th Indian to record 1,000 one day runs in Australia
- Get-hooked January 22, 2019 Wheelchair artists in Kerala to stage Chaya, 1st of its kind theatre performance
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Benefit Cosmetics' move to feature model with Down syndrome as ambassador gets a big thumbs up
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News