Tigress beaten to death & run over by villagers in Uttar Pradesh
After the shooting of the tigress Avni in Maharashtra last week, comes another report of a tigress who has been beaten to death and run over in a village in Uttar Pradesh on Sunday.
This happened after the tigress attacked a man who later died in hospital. After the attack, angry villagers near the Dudhwa tiger reserve around 200 km from Lucknow, entered the reserve, beat up forest guards, snatched a tractor and then ran over the 10-year-old tigress when they found her. They also hit the animal with heavy sticks.
The 50-year-old man was mauled as he was going to his village, crisscrossing the jungle. Then some anti-social elements got together and beat the tigress to death. We have identified those responsible and we are going to file an FIR against them and get them arrested. - Mahavir Kojilangi, Director, Dudhwa National Park
The villagers stay within the buffer zone of the protected tiger reserve. Officials say the tigress has never attacked people in the last 10 years. Action will be taken against the villagers who killed the protected animal.
Villagers claim the animal had been attacking their livestock for a few weeks and were scared. They also said they ahd complained to officials about this many times. The killing of a second tigress in less than a week has renewed debates about how effective conservation efforts in India really are.
Actor Randeep Hooda tweeted a photo of the tigress killed by the villagers and said, "Another #Tiger #NationalPride mercilessly killed by villagers with a tractor seized from @UpforestUp officials in #Chaltua #Mailani #KishanpurTigerSanctuary #UttarPradesh she injured a man when he ventured into the jungle. We need a special team for ever rising #ManAnimalConflict. "
Congress president Rahul Gandhi also tweeted a message on animal rights, spoken by Mahatma Gandhi. "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
Watch in Sign Language
- School, colleges shut in parts of Tamil Nadu ahead of Cyclone Gaja
November 16, 2018
- After Trump declined invite, South African President to be Republic Day chief guest
November 16, 2018
- Deepika & Ranveer’s wedding pictures released
November 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 9, 2018 'Thugs of Hindostan' movie review
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Rohit Sharma in list of batsmen with over 200 boundaries in T20Is
- Technology November 13, 2018 Engineering student develops app called Myability that speaks out typed text
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Congress fields Ashok Gehlot, Sachin Pilot in Rajasthan, no clarity on who will be CM
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Prime Minister Modi launches projects over ₹2,400 crore in Varanasi
- Accessibility November 12, 2018 I want to make a mobile app accessible to visually impaired! Really? - Guest column by Shilpi Kapoor, Founder, Barrier Break
- Headlines November 10, 2018 Vijay’s ‘Sarkar’ enters Rs 100 Crore club amidst controversies
- Accessibility November 10, 2018 Actual number of disabled voters in Telangana missing from list, activists ask for special campaign
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines November 13, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News