Paris bus driver becomes social media darling for standing up for disabled passenger
A bus driver in Paris, France is a social media hero after he asked every single passenger on his bus to get off. Why? Because they refused to make room for a man in a wheelchair.
The incident started trending on social media soon after it was reported in the newspaper Evening Standard. The passenger, Francois Le Berre, who has multiple sclerosis, was reportedly waiting to board a bus in a suburb in Paris, but none of the passengers would move to give him space.
The bus driver noticed his and took the unusual step of asking every single passenger to get off the bus. He then asked Le Berre to come on board and drove off with him as the only passenger.
A tweet describing the incident was shared by a group called Accessible Pour Tous, which in French means 'accessible for all’.
The tweet said,
Yesterday while waiting for the bus in Paris, nobody wanted to move themselves. As no one was moving the driver stood up and said ‘Terminating! Everybody off!’ After he came to see me and said ‘you can go up and the others, you wait for the next one! - Accessible Pour Tous
The tweet was shared over 5,000 times and liked by thousands of people. Many praised the bus driver and criticised the passengers for not moving.
One person commented, "Bravo to the bus driver, but shame on the passengers." Another said, "Good for the driver!! Deserves a promotion ❤️👍."
Back in India, the bus driver, whose name is not known, has won a fan in Jasmina Khanna, who is a wheelchair user based in Mumbai.
"I wish we had more humans like this. Such sensitivity rarely exists. Other passengers did not care about the person in the wheelchair and refused to budge to let him board the bus. Kudos to the driver who had the courage to teach a lesson to the other passengers by not allowing them to board the bus. "
Buses in Paris usually have one or two spaces for a wheelchair, and passengers are supposed to give priority to wheelchair users and allow them to get on.
Watch in Sign Language
- First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
November 14, 2018
- Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
November 14, 2018
- Help your child with autism sleep better
November 14, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events November 8, 2018 South India Level Blind Volleyball Tournament 2018
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Actor Akshay Kumar says he never met self-styled god man Ram Rahim
- Education November 14, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Some pre-school activities to improve well-being of disabled children
- Headlines November 9, 2018 Virat Kohli apologises after getting trolled for 'Leave India' comment to fan
- Get-hooked November 9, 2018 Arunima Sinha, first female amputee to climb Mount Everest, gets honorary doctorate in the UK
- Events November 12, 2018 Inclov Social Spaces Mumbai - New Year Celebration
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
- Headlines November 10, 2018 Vijay’s ‘Sarkar’ enters Rs 100 Crore club amidst controversies
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 8, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018