Paris bus driver becomes social media darling for standing up for disabled passenger
A bus driver in Paris, France is a social media hero after he asked every single passenger on his bus to get off. Why? Because they refused to make room for a man in a wheelchair.
The incident started trending on social media soon after it was reported in the newspaper Evening Standard. The passenger, Francois Le Berre, who has multiple sclerosis, was reportedly waiting to board a bus in a suburb in Paris, but none of the passengers would move to give him space.
The bus driver noticed his and took the unusual step of asking every single passenger to get off the bus. He then asked Le Berre to come on board and drove off with him as the only passenger.
A tweet describing the incident was shared by a group called Accessible Pour Tous, which in French means 'accessible for all’.
The tweet said,
Yesterday while waiting for the bus in Paris, nobody wanted to move themselves. As no one was moving the driver stood up and said ‘Terminating! Everybody off!’ After he came to see me and said ‘you can go up and the others, you wait for the next one! - Accessible Pour Tous
The tweet was shared over 5,000 times and liked by thousands of people. Many praised the bus driver and criticised the passengers for not moving.
One person commented, "Bravo to the bus driver, but shame on the passengers." Another said, "Good for the driver!! Deserves a promotion ❤️👍."
Back in India, the bus driver, whose name is not known, has won a fan in Jasmina Khanna, who is a wheelchair user based in Mumbai.
"I wish we had more humans like this. Such sensitivity rarely exists. Other passengers did not care about the person in the wheelchair and refused to budge to let him board the bus. Kudos to the driver who had the courage to teach a lesson to the other passengers by not allowing them to board the bus. "
Buses in Paris usually have one or two spaces for a wheelchair, and passengers are supposed to give priority to wheelchair users and allow them to get on.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Awareness to access, Cure SMA India speaks up for kids with spinal muscular atrophy
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Benefit Cosmetics' move to feature model with Down syndrome as ambassador gets a big thumbs up
- Events January 17, 2019 India Art Festival- IAF
- Events January 23, 2019 State Level Workshop on Sustainable Development & Accessible Empowerment of Deaf
- Events January 21, 2019 Agra Deaf Enable Society- Republic Day Event
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Changing lives of disabled people for the better, the Swabhiman way
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Supreme Court allows dance bars in Maharashtra to reopen
- Headlines January 18, 2019 India to face Australia in ODI final today
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Parenting Disability: Me as an orthpedically challenged child - Guest Column by Payal Kukreja
- Get-hooked January 23, 2019 Some things to avoid when you parent a child with autism
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 14, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News