51 disabled people tie the knot at mass wedding in Chennai
Last Sunday was special to over 53 disabled people in Chennai. They got married to their soul mates at a mass wedding that happened on 4 November at the city. This event which was exclusively for people with disabilities was conducted by the NGO Sree Geetha Bhavan in collaboration with Tamil Nadu Differently Abled Federation Charitable Trust.
The auditorium was filled with love and happiness as the couples tied the knot in the presence of their families and loved ones. All of them got married in traditional Hindu way. Even though the organizers planned for 53 people to take part, only 51 turned up for the event.
Over 200 people with various kind of disabilities had participated in a swayamvara that was conducted a couple of months back where they met for the first time. After the event, they underwent a counselling session on 7 October where they interacted with physicians, lawyers, blood test experts and psychologists. Once they were found to be fit to get married, they were provided eligibility certificates!
We hold this event every year. This year too, the event went well and many people with disabilities got married to perfect partners. We have been working on this event from July. People with different kinds of disabilities from across Tamil Nadu are selected for the event. The entire event is sponsored by our trust. We hope more disabled people will benefit from this event in years to come- Santanakrishnan, Manager, Sree Geetha Bhavan Trust
Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit was the chief guest at the event. Minister for Social Welfare and Nutritious Noon Meal Programme and Welfare of Differently abled V Saroja was also present at the event.
Till date, the trust has conducted over 400 marriages of disabled people from the state. They have also provided the couples with wedding clothes and gold mangalsutra’s. After the grand success of the last mass wedding, Sree Geetha Bhavan is getting ready to prepare for their upcoming event!
Watch in Sign Language
- First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
November 14, 2018
- Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
November 14, 2018
- Help your child with autism sleep better
November 14, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
- Technology November 12, 2018 Manovue glove opens doors to visually impaired people who do not know Braille
- Headlines November 9, 2018 Delhi pollution at hazardous levels after Diwali celebrations
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Education November 14, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
- Accessibility November 10, 2018 Actual number of disabled voters in Telangana missing from list, activists ask for special campaign
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Unni Maxx talks about his vacation at the paradise of South Africa
- Parasports November 9, 2018 First ever Blind Volley Ball Tournament to be held in Karnataka
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer want wedding guests to donate to charity
- Headlines November 7, 2018 Patanjali launches first clothing store
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018