51 disabled people tie the knot at mass wedding in Chennai
Last Sunday was special to over 53 disabled people in Chennai. They got married to their soul mates at a mass wedding that happened on 4 November at the city. This event which was exclusively for people with disabilities was conducted by the NGO Sree Geetha Bhavan in collaboration with Tamil Nadu Differently Abled Federation Charitable Trust.
The auditorium was filled with love and happiness as the couples tied the knot in the presence of their families and loved ones. All of them got married in traditional Hindu way. Even though the organizers planned for 53 people to take part, only 51 turned up for the event.
Over 200 people with various kind of disabilities had participated in a swayamvara that was conducted a couple of months back where they met for the first time. After the event, they underwent a counselling session on 7 October where they interacted with physicians, lawyers, blood test experts and psychologists. Once they were found to be fit to get married, they were provided eligibility certificates!
We hold this event every year. This year too, the event went well and many people with disabilities got married to perfect partners. We have been working on this event from July. People with different kinds of disabilities from across Tamil Nadu are selected for the event. The entire event is sponsored by our trust. We hope more disabled people will benefit from this event in years to come- Santanakrishnan, Manager, Sree Geetha Bhavan Trust
Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit was the chief guest at the event. Minister for Social Welfare and Nutritious Noon Meal Programme and Welfare of Differently abled V Saroja was also present at the event.
Till date, the trust has conducted over 400 marriages of disabled people from the state. They have also provided the couples with wedding clothes and gold mangalsutra’s. After the grand success of the last mass wedding, Sree Geetha Bhavan is getting ready to prepare for their upcoming event!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 23, 2019 3 top cricket awards for Virat in 2018
- Accessibility January 22, 2019 From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Fed up of delays in updated guidelines for disabled MBBS aspirants, activists approach minister
- Technology January 23, 2019 Inspiration is just a phone call away thanks to EnAble Vaani
- Events January 20, 2019 Trinayani's 18th Inclusive Monthly Meetup
- Events January 23, 2019 State Level Workshop on Sustainable Development & Accessible Empowerment of Deaf
- Get-hooked January 22, 2019 Wheelchair artists in Kerala to stage Chaya, 1st of its kind theatre performance
- Employment January 22, 2019 At India Business Disability Network launch, industry leaders champion workplace inclusion
- Parasports January 20, 2019 Samarthanam Trust, Pinkathon to.organize ultra-marathon for visually impaired people
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Parenting Disability: Me as an orthpedically challenged child - Guest Column by Payal Kukreja
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News