51 disabled people tie the knot at mass wedding in Chennai
November 7, 2018
Last Sunday was special to over 53 disabled people in Chennai. They got married to their soul mates at a mass wedding that happened on 4 November at the city. This event which was exclusively for people with disabilities was conducted by the NGO Sree Geetha Bhavan in collaboration with Tamil Nadu Differently Abled Federation Charitable Trust.
The auditorium was filled with love and happiness as the couples tied the knot in the presence of their families and loved ones. All of them got married in traditional Hindu way. Even though the organizers planned for 53 people to take part, only 51 turned up for the event.
Over 200 people with various kind of disabilities had participated in a swayamvara that was conducted a couple of months back where they met for the first time. After the event, they underwent a counselling session on 7 October where they interacted with physicians, lawyers, blood test experts and psychologists. Once they were found to be fit to get married, they were provided eligibility certificates!
We hold this event every year. This year too, the event went well and many people with disabilities got married to perfect partners. We have been working on this event from July. People with different kinds of disabilities from across Tamil Nadu are selected for the event. The entire event is sponsored by our trust. We hope more disabled people will benefit from this event in years to come- Santanakrishnan, Manager, Sree Geetha Bhavan Trust
Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit was the chief guest at the event. Minister for Social Welfare and Nutritious Noon Meal Programme and Welfare of Differently abled V Saroja was also present at the event.
Till date, the trust has conducted over 400 marriages of disabled people from the state. They have also provided the couples with wedding clothes and gold mangalsutra's. After the grand success of the last mass wedding, Sree Geetha Bhavan is getting ready to prepare for their upcoming event!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Indian cricket team gears up for World Cup 2019
- Headlines March 14, 2019 Australia beats India, wins series
- Accessibility March 12, 2019 Needed: An election manifesto for 80 million disabled citizens - My Take by Dr Ketna L Mehta
- Headlines March 13, 2019 Gautam Gambhir to join politics soon, says reports
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 Parenting corner- Managing stress
- Headlines March 18, 2019 New Zealand attack - 3 men from Hyderabad among 50 killed
- Headlines March 12, 2019 Terrorist behind Pulwama attack said to be killed
- Events March 14, 2019 Sangarsh'19
- Technology March 14, 2019 With Inali Arm, developer Prashant Gade aims to change the outlook of people with upper limb disabilities
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Discriminatory medical admission guidelines regarding disabled aspirants crush this Ranchi doctor's dream
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News